Thread: MediaCache balancing across MediaCacheStores

Question MediaCache balancing across MediaCacheStores

I've configured more than one store for the mediacache. So far, Wowza hasn't used the second store (which I have tested by commenting out the first).

What's Wowza's strategy for using that second store? I was hoping for a round-robin approach so I can divvy up the I/O among two disks.

I have a scalability issue in EC2 - I've maxed out the I/O on one disk. I've configured the second store to hit the second ephemeral drive.

It is supposed to act similar to RAID 0 array.

Richard

Sorry Richard but I'm simply not seeing that occur. I'm playing four VOD streams at the moment and all the data is going to the first store.

It seems to work by overflow.

I set up two MediaStore blocks, both default settings. When I streamed one file I see no data in the 2nd store, just folders.

If I change the first MediaCacheStore /MaxSize from "50G" to "1M", then stream one file, I do see data in the 2nd store.

Richard

Ok, thanks Richard.

Are there plans to introduce a striping mode? It would really help us out in the EC2 cloud where we have limited ability to fix I/O problems.

I will have to get more info next week on this, but from previous conversations it is my understand that you should get similar benefit. I can only see from simple test that one trigger is overflow from MaxSize limit, but I think there are other triggers for distribution.

Did you know that you can setup RAID 0 on EC2 with EBS volumes? Search for "EC2 RAID EBS"

But just mounting multiple EBS volumes and configured MediaCacheStores to use each of them should provide substantial benefit.

Richard

Ok... Looking forward to hear more.

Yeah, I can know I can do that, but lots of extra work. This approach was the easiest way to go about it. It's not a huge issue right now as we have 5 servers up. However, would like to consolidate at some point soon.

Also note that I don't think you will get much or any benefit from multiple MediaCacheStores pointing to the the same disk. You should at least mount one EBS volume and point one of the stores to it.

Richard

I know, EC2 comes with 2 ephemeral drives, both of which are 400GB+ and both are configured as individual stores.