Thread: Stream MPEG-TS ((MPEG2) to other devices

Default Stream MPEG-TS ((MPEG2) to other devices

Hi Wowza Support team,

in out team we just discussed the new circumstance that we will have to stream a MPEG-TS (MPEG2) based stream to other devices which also require MPEG2 as an input codec type. The streaming protocol delivering the input stream to the Wowza Server will be RTP/RTSP.

If I understand it currently, Wowza Media Server 2 cannot handle MPEG2 based input streams. Wowza Media Server 3 does accept MPEG2 input streams as long as the Wowza transcoder Add-on is used which transcodes the stream to a H.264 video output signal.

Now, we have the question if it is nevertheless possible to receive the resulting output stream (via RTSP) as MPEG-TS MPEG2. We know that there is a RTP configuration property ForceMPEGTSOut which can be set for Set-Top Box target devices but I assume the inner codec will be H.264, not MPEG2.

Can you give us an advice if there is any way that will satisfy our requirements, in the ideal case in combination with Wowza Media Server 3 as a distribution platform to generate multiple MPEG-TS streams from one input stream.

Thanks in advance

Andre
    Last edited by saxonytv; 04-23-2012 at 10:51 AM.

That's right, for the scenario you've described you can use Wowza Transcoder AddOn to transcode your MPEG2 source live video to H.264 and create multiple renditions from that one source stream.

-Lisa

Hi Lisa,

thanks for your immediate reply. But I actually need MPEG2 renditions also on my target devices, not H.264 .-)
    Is this somehow possible, too?

Andre

You are not able to use Wowza Transcoder to create multiple renditions of a MPEG2 stream.

-Lisa

Too bad. Anyway, thanks for the information, Lisa.

I assume this feature will also not be considered in the nearby future, the Wowza development focuses completely on H.264?

Andre