Thread: Newbie - 3 questions

Default Newbie - 3 questions

I'm researching this option as it definetly seems like it's the way I'm gonna go as I step out of using middle-men services for my live broadcast. I want to bring iOS streaming into my features and this seems like the most inexpensive way to do so.

Wondering if someone can just give me a 10-4 on how I understand this (PLEASE forgive my ignorance lol) :

1. I'm encoding in wirecast, that's sent to a url I setup on my VPS running Wowza, and a player in my site will be pulling the stream from Wowza, and be distributed to whoever is watching the stream. Is this correct?

2. Is it possible to have Wowza handle up to 20 completely seperate live video streams (usually around 500kbps / 25 fps / h.264 / 640x480 ) and deliver them to up to 30 viewers on each live stream? (so 600 actual live stream simultaneously)

3. Can someone recommend some VPS specs that would be able to support a work load like that (usually happening all on the same day every week).

I'm understanding that this doesn't require me to have a CDN like Edgecast or anything. I would kind of become my own CDN. With that kind of traffic described above, any opinions on the viewer experience side of things? Will delivery be smooth? Will it take forever to buffer and start streaming if there are that many simultaneous unique streams?

Thanks VERY much for any input here. I've learned a lot in these forums, hoping to be a wowza user soon!

1. Wirecast is a RTMP Live encoder that will publish a stream to Wowza. Any number of clients and several client types can connect to Wowza and subscribe to that stream for playback. Follow this tutorial:
    http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....based-encoder)

2. Yes. 500kbs, h.264, 640x480 is optimal. Most users will have a good experience.

3. You need a fat VPS for any substantial streaming. I'm not sure what to recommend exactly, but generally, apart from VPS, for live streaming we recommend a late model quad or dual quad cpu, 4 - 8g ram, 64bit OS, 64bit Java VM (JDK), 1 - 4gbs nic.

Richard

Richard, awesome thanks for those confirmations.

Is it accurate that Wowza can take that RTMP stream and turn it into an HTTP stream to allow for iOS playback? If so does that mean it has to be spitting out two versions (RTMP and HTTP) of the same stream? Or can I lessen the work load by just converting everything to HTTP all the time?

Follow the cupertino configuration and playback steps in the tutorial that I suggested for streaming to iOS clients

I don't think that it will save any overhead, but you can disable RTMP output by changing /conf/[app-name]/Application.xml /Client /Access /StreamReadAccess from this:

<StreamReadAccess>*</StreamReadAccess>
    To this:
    <StreamReadAccess></StreamReadAccess>
    Richard

... I am sure it will not save any overhead to do that. It will just make the RTMP stream inaccessible.

Richard

Okay awesome, thanks dude.
    This means that I wouldn't need the Transcoder addon for every live stream correct?

You don't need the Wowza Transcoder for what you described. Use the Transcoder when the source needs to be transcoded to h.264/AAC, and/or when you want to create multi-bitrate stream

Richard

beautiful. Thanks Richard. Super helpful!!!