Thread: Problem with streaming through firewall

Question SOLVED: Problem with streaming through firewall

Hi,

I've successfully set up a live streaming environment to an Axis camera. I can view the stream perfectly well using FlowPlayer while I'm connected to the LAN. However, once I try the stream from the public side, it doesn't work. FlowPlayer just spins and spins. I've read this article:

http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....uterOrFirewall

... and adjusted the <RTSPBindIpAddress>, <RTSPConnectionIpAddress> and <RTSPOriginIpAddress> parameters with my internal and external addresses and restarted the Wowza server. Still, I can't view my test from a WAN connection.

My firewall only has port 80 open and forwarded to the Wowza server.

Any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by mlanner; 04-27-2012 at 10:51 PM.

Wowza Server uses port 1935 by default. Add port 80 to [install-dir]/conf/VHost.xml to VHost/HostPortList/HostPort/Port. Port numbers are comma delimited. If problems persist, try testing using the direct IP address instead of the domain name. Also check that the ports are open.

-Lisa

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for the quick response. I've opened port 1935 on the firewall, but it still doesn't work. I'm not sure why adding port 80 to the VHosts.xml would make any difference. As I mentioned earlier, if I view the exact same page/stream on the server that is in my DMZ from a computer on my LAN, everything works just fine. Any other ideas or can you elaborate on the VHosts.xml config issue.

Thanks.

UPDATE: Just as I thought, there was nothing wrong with the firewall policies, nor with Wowza. My mistake was that I had in my web page pointed the stream to the internal IP address of the server, when in fact it should be using the external IP of the server. This was not obvious to me, but it now works beautifully.

As for the VHosts.xml configuration, adding in the suggested <HostPort> stanza broke my server. I don't know why, but at this point I really don't care, as my stream is working fine now.