Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pros and Cons: Progressive Download VERSUS Adaptive (Multi-bit rate) Streaming

Question Pros and Cons: Progressive Download VERSUS Adaptive (Multi-bit rate) Streaming

We have tested Multi bit-rate "Adaptive Streaming," but can't decide if we should use this or take a Youtube "Progressive Download" approach for our VOD website. Can you guys give us some opinions to help us make our decision?

Thanks!

There are lot of things involve in making decision between them.

Do you need security? To which players or devices you are going to deliver streams? How many users will play concurrently? What locations do you plan to deliver? How frequent you will be updating VoD files?
    Last edited by dirtystar; 04-29-2012 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtystar View Post
    There are lot of things involve in making decision between them.

Do you need security? To which players or devices you are going to deliver streams? How many users will play concurrently? What locations do you plan to deliver? How frequent you will be updating VoD files?
    Good questions. Answers...

Security yes. Streaming to Flash, Html 5, and Apple devices. Number of users may vary from dozens to hundreds concurrently. Audience is English based... server in the US where we will have most of our customers. VoD files update: 5 per week. 7 per week max.

We usually use apache server (progressive download) for VoD content but looking at your requirement, I would suggest to go with Wowza, it is really difficult to port HLS support over apache server to serve streams on idevices.

Hi
    This is a decision that can only be made by you but in my opinion streaming has been the best solution.
    progressive download involves more files based on connection type and etc where as streaming only requires a link to the content for each device.

Example for streaming links :

[Content name]_Flash
    [Content name]_iOS
    [Content name]_BB/Android

For progressive download you may need a app for each type of device.

Jason
    Last edited by JasonH; 04-30-2012 at 03:57 AM.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I like the idea of adaptive streaming over progressive download. Does this look like a good spread for our multi-bitrate files? Does Wowza have a recommendation?

900, 1200, 1800, 2400, 3500 (in kbps)

Hi
    As long as your server can handle the transcoding this is fine, is the source stream 3500(kbps)?
    Because you cant transcode upwards in bitrate (you can but its not recommended because quality stays at the source stream level)

3500(kbps) is at a HD level which is acceptable if that's what you want.
    2400(kbps) is at a SD level and could be accessed from the iPad with good connectivity
    1800(kbps) is at low level SD and is probably the iPad choice if connectivity isn't great
    1200(kbps) is in my opinion not needed because you have covered all the bases at this point.
    900(kbps) is a little high for a phone unless its using WiFi which may not be accessible to everyone watching your stream

If you wanted this many streams i would replace 1200kbps with a 600kbps stream for phones on wireless networks etc.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by JasonH View Post
    1200(kbps) is in my opinion not needed because you have covered all the bases at this point.
    900(kbps) is a little high for a phone unless its using WiFi which may not be accessible to everyone watching your stream

If you wanted this many streams i would replace 1200kbps with a 600kbps stream for phones on wireless networks etc.

Jason
    Jason,

Thank you for the reply. Valuable information in your post. I don't think our server is doing transcoding. We are uploading all of these VOD file types to the server and using the multi-bitrate adaptive streaming technique with a playlist file and JWPlayer.

In your scenario, if we replaced the 1200 stream with a 600 version, do you think 900 is still needed or not? Are you proposing two mobile versions?

Thank you kindly

Hi
    Yes you're correct, sorry I should have looked back at the original post before posting about the transcoder.

Its completely up to you but I did think that 900kbps is a little high for a phone but if the quality is not good enough at 600kbps then naturally you would just have the 900kbps stream.
    If you don't have a WiFi connection then you would struggle to watch but that's life.

Jason

Triple,

I think 3500kbps is way too much for most devices. A typical max bitrate I see for commercial websites is about 1500kbps. Additionally, the main benefit of multi-bitrate is the ability to drop the stream way down so slow devices/connections do not experience an interruption of service. Therefore, I suggest adding 350kbps and 150kbps encodes to your multi-bitrate groups.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast