Thread: Install Wowza on Super Quad

Default Install Wowza on Super Quad

I ran into this posting: http://blog.ianbeyer.com/2012/02/09/...ons-superquad/ and the author talks about using the superquad (cc1.4xlarge) to reach fairly large audiences. We don't have very big audiences now but I want to go ahead and build a system capable of handling large audiences. In my head it makes sense to spin this giant one up as the transcoder / origin server and over time add instances as needed.

I am lost on which version of the superquad to spin up and how to get this going - does anyone have any insight in this area? I've used wowza before and understand setting it up - but am lost with doing this in the amazon world.
    Last edited by dwoodward; 05-02-2012 at 03:05 PM.

We don't have a ton of experience with those instance types here, but they do sound interesting with 10gbs nic. Note that a single instance of Wowza/Java will only saturate about half of that 10gbs nic

Richard

3. Default

It's the same thing on Amazon as any other server, except you pay per hour, so you can scale down/up with minimal costs and even shut down all instances when they're not needed. It might make more sense to use a smaller instance for the origin/transcoder and add other instances to serve streams.

Hello Richard,

What exactly do you mean a wowza + java it will saturate only half of that 10gbs.
    Wowza can not utilize the full potential of the instance?
    Those instances have high CPU, memory and network capacity.
    Is there any other parameter that inherently limits the total load that can be handled?

Regards,
    Özgür

Özgür,

It is my understanding that it is a Java limitation: only able to saturate up to about 5gbs. The work-around for a server with a 10gbs nic is to install two instances of Wowza, licensed separately.

Richard

Is there ANY chance of getting pre-built AMI's for the super-large instances? Would be most helpful to me.

Thanks!

There are pre-built AMIs available for several xlarge instances. See this page for the listing of available AMIs. The first table is for devpay licensing and the 2nd table is for license key (lickey) licensing.

-Lisa

The super-duper quad and dual quad with the 10gbs nic are not on the list. It's an AWS limitation I think. You can use them, you just have to install and tune as you would any non-EC2 machine.

Richard