Thread: Latency slowly gets worse and worse

Default Latency slowly gets worse and worse

Hi

I have a setup which is streaming from a Sony security IP camera, to wowza, and then on to a flash client.

It all seemed to work well, but I have been told when left for a few hours there is very high latency.

Buffer is set to 0 on the client, so where could the latency be coming from and is there a way to fix this?

Thanks

James

James,

Try reducing stream's the bitrate. It might be too close to the bandwidth of the camera's uplink.

Richard

Could you elaborate on that?

OK, if you mean by uplink the connection between the camera and the server, then no, it is on a local gigabit network, so no, bitrate is not an issue.
    I don't understand where the frames are being buffered, on the input of Wowza? If so is there an option to drop incoming RTSP frames?

Take a look at the Troubleshooting Live Streaming tutorial. Also see the guidelines and information requested when submitting a support request here: http://www.wowza.com/forums/content.php

Key things for your current issue would be what tutorial you're using, StreamType in Application.xml, description of encoding/bitrate of your camera, and a general description of your setup. Everything is on the same network?

Yup everything is on the same very fast network.

I followed the tutorial here:

http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....-re-streaming)

Streamtype is set to:
    <StreamType>rtp-live</StreamType>

Looking at the troubleshooting guide, there is nothing like I am getting, which is the video is further and further out of sync the longer it is left...

Does Wowza buffer the incoming video?

See this thread: Stream-delay-grows-larger-over-time

Charlie lists a few troubleshooting steps. The final post mentions a fix by changing from interlaced to progressive scan. I think that interlaced is used close to a display device like a TV, and is generally not used in online digital streaming.

Quote Originally Posted by randall View Post
    Again, that doesn't seem to have any connection to my problem.

So again, could someone tell me, does Wowza buffer incoming RTSP video, and if so are there any controls?

Hi James,

No, Wowza does not buffer it. There is an 8 second internal buffer. There is a packet sorting buffer (750ms). But, the stream is re-streamed more or less immediately, so these settings are not what you're looking for.

You'll want to isolate your encoder. For example try playing the sample.mp4, or use a different encoder such as VLC, FMLE, Wirecast. Let me know if you need any help with the troubleshooting steps Charlie mentioned in the previous link.