Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Live Stream latency WOWZA 3

  1. #1

    Default Live Stream latency WOWZA 3

    Ok, so I finally got live streaming working. now I have another issue. My stream keeps freezing like there is a bandwidth bottleneck. I know this is not the case, as this is the only thing on the server, and it is new so no one knows it's there. I am streaming VOD files as live and followed the tutorials. I followed the server tuning and my server is using java 64 bit -server. Heap size is 3000M. My server:

    Quad core, 6GB Ram, Windows server 2008, JDK7u3 64bit, 48MBPS Internet pipe.

    I should add that this does it wether it is the example flash player that comes with wowza or flowplayer. Makes no difference.

    What the heck could possibly be doing this? One stream could not possibly be killing this machine.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    21,962

    Default

    What about the bandwidth between client and Wowza? That is where 99% of bandwith issues are. The other 1% is between a live encoder and Wowza.

    You can measure with the BWCheck example:
    http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....tion-(BWCheck)

    Richard

  3. #3

    Default

    Guess my replay didn't take.

    My bandwidth is 3mbps. I have tried it on my 4G LTE phone as well, same thing.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    21,962

    Default

    3mbs between the playback client and Wowza? Did you check with the BWCheck tool? This tells you Wowza to client bandwidth. Direction is important. What is the bitrate of the stream? Try reducing the bitrate for comparison. Try half. If you get smooth playback, then increase it.

    Are you using Wowza [wowza-install-dir]/examples/LiveVideoStreaming/client/live.html to test ?

    Richard

  5. #5

    Default

    Well, I followed the instructions to install it and run it. It says testing performance... and does nothing else. Yes, I tried that client as well as flowplayer. Both do it. I set the bitrate to 128000.

  6. #6

    Default

    Really? This is the best this can be? I have a 10mbps pipe at my house and this stream still has latency and buffering. I have my system bitrate set for 128000, I've tried 350000, 500000 and still I get latency. The files are encoded at 3.3k bitrate. Heck, I can do VOD silverlight and get better performance than this. There has got to be something that is missing from the docs somewhere to justify this.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    21,962

    Default

    3.3mbs is much to high for internet delivery. It just doesn't matter if your server has a fat pipe and your client has 30mbs down, or whatever, there are many hops in between. Try 600 - 800mbs for single optimal stream. Otherwise use multi-bitrate streaming and provide 3.3 mbs version at the high end, although few clients will ever play it.

    Richard

  8. #8

    Default

    So what you are telling me is even though I specify the bitrate in my smil file, the server ignores that and sends it out at whatever rate it is encoded in?

  9. #9

    Default

    That is correct. The .smil doesn't control transcoding. The bitrates set in the .smil should be the actual bitrates of the streams. Some clients will use the bitrate specified there to do multibitrate switching. Other clients will calculate the bitrate from the streams, and ignore the value in the .smil.

  10. #10

    Default

    Ok, now I know why we had issues. I misunderstood that the server would transcode what ever I was wanting to stream. So other than looking like a TV station, which WOWZA does well, why would I use WOWZA for this? Just kinda curious since streaming VOD can be done by simply embedding code into a webpage and creating the server side playlist.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. live-lowlatency Stream not working if latency is to high, Australia <--> Europe
    By peili7 in forum Live Streaming and Encoder Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-03-2016, 12:26 AM
  2. Huge latency on mobile devices for live stream
    By ynot2k in forum Live Streaming and Encoders
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-05-2014, 11:27 PM
  3. Live Streaming Latency Issue through Wowza
    By MaxLikelihood in forum Live Streaming and Encoders
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-15-2014, 08:54 PM
  4. Get Delay/Latency of a Live-Stream
    By Thunderhaake in forum Live Streaming and Encoder Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-20-2013, 05:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •