Wowza Community

Setting to enable sending RTCP Receiver Report packets from Wowza 3

Hi,

I was trying to receive RTCP RR packets from latest Wowza server (3). I am actually able to send the stream from my client using RTSP/RTP and able to play it from other players through Wowza 3.1. Now I needed to get the receiver reports from Wowza for QOS purpose.

Is there any setting in Wowza to enable the RR reports sending ?

Thanks,

Raghu

FYI, I see that RTCP RR support was added in Wowza 3.0.4.

Ok Raghu,

The report I have as of May 8th is that you will receive Receiver Report packets when streaming to Wowza using RTP(UDP), but not with TCP(Interleaved). Charlie is looking into adding RR support for TCP presently, but it is not a simple addition, and there is no exact time frame at the moment.

Try experimenting with sending a UDP stream to Wowza and see if you can get the RR packets you need.

Hope this helps.

I have a user report that RR Packets can be seen using a sniffer coming back from Wowza when the transport stream is UDP. I’ll flag this thread and see anyone else has any input.

In the meantime, can you describe in more detail how you’re publishing the stream to Wowza, and if possible provide the exact steps to reproduce, perhaps with VLC/FFMPEG? Any output from your sniffer showing the issue exactly will also lead to a faster fix. Thanks for your help/info.

Probably your analysis of the capture would be more useful. Also the other things requested, such as steps to reproduce.

I have confirmed that when publishing with UDP, the RR or RTCP packets are flowing over the second RTP channel for the audio and video. So if the negotiated ports for the audio is 6970 and the video is 6972 then the RR packets are flowing over UDP ports 6971 for video and 6973 for audio.

Make sure these outgoing UDP ports are open on your server. Also, your client side router will need to be aware of state RELATED. Most home routers do this.

Yes, I knew that 3.0.4 is a capable of sending RR packets. But my question is : “is there any setting to enable that ?”. It seems, it was not sending any RR packets when I checked with packet sniffer. Am I missing anything here ? BTW, I am using latest Wowza (3.1) with development license.

Hi Randall,

I was using UDP only.

Regards,

Raghu

Thanks for the quick reply.

Do you want me to send the RTSP communication happend between my client and Wowza ?

Regards,

Raghu

randall,

Could you please explain about the router thing ? “your client side router will need to be aware of the state RELATED”

I am actually streaming within my local area network so the server and client are connected to one network. I see that a few packets negotiation is happening from and thru wowza and my client with the RTCP ports. but it seems they are not RR packets.

INFO server comment - RTPUDPTransport.unbind[live/definst]: 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0:6974 sent:0 recv:0

INFO server comment - IN: UDPHandler: unbind

INFO server comment - RTPUDPTransport.unbind[live/definst]: 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0:6975 sent:0 recv:0

INFO server comment - RTPUDPTransport.unbind[live/definst]: 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0:6970 sent:0 recv:1957

INFO server comment - RTPUDPTransport.unbind[live/definst]: 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0:6971 sent:19 recv:19

To reproduce the issue : I am just streaming with RTSP and RTP from my client to Wowza. There are no special steps happening. The publishing client is our own RTP/RTSP implementation on iPhone.

I am not sure how can I send the sniffing packets data. I am using Cocoa Packet Analyzer.

Regards

Sorry, The mistake is from my client side. I was actually binding and listening at wrong port number. Now I am able to receive the RR packets.