Thread: Might be a dumb question

Default Might be a dumb question

Sorry, but I need to leave for work in 10 minutes, so I don't have time to look it up.

Can wowza stream from a DVB? Not recieve a stream, make an own stream off of a DVB and broadcast it? I was planning on broadcasting the DVB from another program, though my partner told me that wowza can do that.
    I apologize for being lazy, though most tutorials don't state what the type is used for, just how you do it.
    C-ya

What's a DVB? Do you mean DVR?

See the specs page for a list of stream types Wowza supports.

Basically taking a signal off of a satellite dish to your computer and then streaming it. For instance 13.0 degrees, you enter frequencies and Srate, for specific channels, usually ranges from 2-10 channels.
    I was wondering if wowza has that function built in, or does it only recieve streams?
    I will read about DVR and see if it is what I'm looking for, though like I said, the tutorials/support pages don't always define what they are intended for, a lot of the time they speak of concepts.
    Could you edit them so that they have a disclaimer of what the tutorials are intended for? Would simplify it a lot for many users, basically dumb it down a bit, since people aren't used to certain concepts and names.
    I've had to read through many tutorials, most of the time not knowing if that is what I'm looking for.

I love the support you give in the forums and on comments, you're really active and helpful, thank you.

Another question, I'm going to re-stream two sorts of adresses, RTMP and HTTP, Mpeg-TS sounds most likely to be for this, but it doesn't really look as if it is, my question to you is if wowza supports re-streaming of HTTP adresses. I can't seem to find anything that implies that.
    I'm testing as we speak, but yeah... You get the idea.

Hi again charbel,

I'm sorry to say there is not something built in to Wowza for controlling Satellite dishes/channels. The DVR is for recording streams, similar to a Tivo.

Thank you for the suggestions. Documentation can always be improved. Were there any specific tutorials you had in mind, or need a clarification on?

There is a steep learning curve when you're new. The best thing is to read the Quick Start Guide and the User Guide, and then maybe try to recreate the VOD tutorial with a different application name.

Regarding your second question, Wowza cannot ingest HTTP "segmented" streams. See the specs page under Compatible Live Encoding for a list of protocols and codecs Wowza can ingest.

Mm, you just confirmed what I was suspecting. Thanks again, no particular pages, I would say. I was referring more to giving examples of how it can be used/what it's used for, which most have.
    There was one tutorial that spoke of redirecting, concerning that, would I have control over it? Other than being able to change the adresses? I only caught a glimpse of the page before I accidentally closed it. I believe it spoke of redirecting HTTP and RTP. I would have to alter the servers config or something, I'm not sure, since I didn't read it properly, though I checked the code and it seems fairly simple. Though it didn't tell me where I had to implement the code.
    Me sleepy, night night.

Redirecting HTTPsession it seems:
    http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....rver-side-code

The examples are of local, but can I also redirect to an external adress?(answer is most likely yes I'd pressume, though noticed that you mentioned it not working with all players, regardless I would test)

Charbel, what kind of output does the DVB provide? While Wowza doesn't have DVB functionality built in, if your DVB can provide you with a video stream (HDMI, composite, S-Video, etc) that your computer can ingest, you should be able to run something like Flash Media Live Encoder to suck in the DVB output and present it as a Flash stream which could then be sent to a Wowza server.

I could do that or I could just take the signal and stream it like it is and use wowza to read the stream.