Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: viewers not getting the live feed even after refreshing browser

Default viewers not getting the live feed even after refreshing browser

Hi all -

Now that streaming has become so popular, we have a lot of viewers trying to tune in using wireless connections in their homes, on phones and in cafes, etc.

We are seeing a lot of viewers in the tech support chat who are not getting the live event (we do PPV, btw)

They buy their ticket, they get a page with a placeholder video on it until the live event starts.
    We encourage them to refresh about 10 mins prior to live event.

At that time the static placeholder using "simplevideostreaming" is replaced by "livevideo".

Even after refreshing and clearing cache a lot of users especially on Chrome are not getting the live feed.

Any suggestions why?

Wowza 3.0.3 running on

Linux 64-bit CENTOS 5.8
    48Gbs of RAM
    16 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5620 @ 2.40GHz processors

Perhaps there is a typo in the stream name?

The browser is caching the player. You should probably navigate to another page. Or add these to html /head tag:
    <META HTTP-EQUIV="CACHE-CONTROL" CONTENT="NO-CACHE">
    <META HTTP-EQUIV="PRAGMA" CONTENT="NO-CACHE">
    <META HTTP-EQUIV="EXPIRES" CONTENT="Mon, 22 Jul 2002 11:12:01 GMT">
    Richard

its always the obvious answer. That sound you hear is **headdesk**

ouch

well I've broadcast about 7 more live events after implementing this, and user are still constantly complaining that they are not getting the live feed.

we use a placeholder "the event has not started" flv file, then 15 minutes prior to the event, we flip over to a live version that has a completely different filename.

so we go from simplevideostreaming to live in the settings.

users are still getting the simplevideostreaming version even an hour into the event.

if it were only 1-2 users, I would assume elevated browser cache settings on their end, but since its many users, here I am back in the forums asking for a fix.

TL;DR - users seeing cached versions - getting many complaints and comparisons to "I don't get this with UStream/Livestream/name your large CDN"

thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Have you looked at the scheduler which uses Stream class (server-side) streams and allows mixing of live and static video:
    http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....-class-streams

Other variations:

The only thing you have to be careful about is audio and video codec changes. They do not have to be identical, but the audio and video codecs of the live stream and the place holder should be as close as possible, or the players cannot handle the switch.

Richard

I'm not really mixing live and static.

Each event broadcasts live, then flips over to the archived video.

Or in suggesting this, are you referring to the placeholder>live switchover?
    We do it manually because live events can't really be set on a timer.

The link you suggested looks like a playlist to schedule items already recorded and stored on the server?
    Or am I confused?

You can mix live and static content with Stream class. Use start value "-2" so Wowza knows an item is a live stream instead of a file. Start value 0 or greater indicates the source is a file

The scheduler will not work by itself if you don't know exact time to start and stop, but if you look at those other two links there is the makings of a good solution for your use case.

Richard

ok, now I see the solution you are getting at.
    I have never used Wowza IDE before, and don't know where to start?

Is there some sort of Quick Start Guide that will get me past the point of "Build this module in the Wowza IDE"

I'm familiar with setting up Application instances

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast