Thread: Question on Transcoder templates

Default Question on Transcoder templates

Hello,

I've noticed from the Transcoder tutorial: http://www.wowza.com/forums/content.php?304 that
    "If the incoming stream is H.264 video and AAC or MP3 audio and you want to create multi-bitrate renditions of the incoming stream for multi-bitrate delivery, then set Transcoder/Templates value to: <Templates>${SourceStreamName}.xml,transrate.xml</Templates>"
    or
    "If the incoming stream is MPEG2 or MPEG4 Part 2 video and requires transcoding to H.264 and AAC for delivery to the supported player technologies such as Flash, iOS and Silverlight, then set Transcoder/Templates value to: <Templates>${SourceStreamName}.xml,transcode.xml</Templates>"

Which one would I use if I know the incoming stream is H.264 but the audio is not AAC but Speex/MP3? Would I use the transrate.xml or transcoder.xml? I am guessing transcoder.xml?

Another question is, if I have the audio codec set to AAC, all MP3, Speex audio codec will be caught by the transcoder and automatically be converted to AAC? Is it safe to assume this?

Thank you.

There is an example template that can be used in that scenario here:

http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....across-clients

Richard
    Last edited by rrlanham; 05-17-2012 at 02:27 PM.

Hello,

I also want to utilize adaptive bit rate delivery as well for different bit rates. So for incoming H264 video and audio of Speex/MP3/AAC with adapative bit rate delivery, do I use the transcoder.xml or transrate.xml and would it be as simple as copying the <encode></encode> properties in the link you provided?

Thanks.

You can add Encode blocks, and StreamNameGroups, etc. The templates are self-documented for the most part. With h.264/Speex in and H.264/AAC out, you are transcoding the audio but not the video. You might start with the transrate.xml and make the changes necessary to Encode blocks referring to the template in the example.

Richard