Wowza Community

RTP live stream debugging

Hello,

I’m having a lot of problems trying to do debug something that should be very simple.

I have two RTP sources that I am streaming into Wowza as “live” inputs. I have the sdp descriptions for both in my content directory and as far as I can tell both incomming RTP streams are near identical. I’ve followed the simple tutorial here https://www.wowza.com/docs/how-to-set-up-live-streaming-using-a-native-rtp-encoder-with-sdp-file.

Problem I have is that one stream works and one stream doesn’t. I can’t figure out what the difference is between the two. It’s starting to drive me crazy!

I don’t even have the streams running at the same time. Application A works, and application B doesn’t but to me the outputs are near identical. I’ve done packet tracing with Wireshark and used the RTP analyser.

So, in Wowza I have enabled debug logging. With the stream that works, I can see Wowza start to read the RTP packets off the network ok, like this ( a snap at the start)

2012-05-18 12:28:39 BST comment server DEBUG 200 - rtcp[trackID=1:60] {80 c8 00 06 cd f6 09 a7 83 aa b6 24 06 e9 78 d4 } - - - 190.778 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

2012-05-18 12:28:39 BST comment server DEBUG 200 - RTCPPACKETTYPE_SR[trackID=1]: base:2209003044027 rtp:129155 - - - 190.779 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

2012-05-18 12:28:39 BST comment server DEBUG 200 - RTCPPACKETTYPE_SDES: 1 - - - 190.779 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

2012-05-18 12:28:39 BST comment server DEBUG 200 - RTCPPACKETTYPE_SDES: val: CNAME=pricklefish.my.tv - - - 190.779 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

When I have the stream that doesn’t work as input all I see in the debug log is the RTP input timing out and continually resetting. In any other circumstance I’d say the ports were incorrect. But I’ve checked and double checked and the ports are correct. The log times out on the input like this.

2012-05-18 12:28:37 BST comment server INFO 200 - RTPMediaCaster.streamTimeout[5569009:PBSLive/definst:myStream4.sdp]: timeout:12000 diff:12005 reason:101 - - - 189.214 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

2012-05-18 12:28:37 BST comment server INFO 200 - RTPMediaCaster.resetConnection[5569009:PBSLive/definst:myStream4.sdp]: - - - 189.214 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

2012-05-18 12:28:37 BST comment server INFO 200 - RTPMediaCaster.closeRTPSession[5569009:PBSLive/definst:myStream4.sdp] - - - 189.215 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

So is there any way I can get more detailed logging on the RTP input, at the socket level even, so I can at least check that data is going into Wowza.

Regards,

bobster

Are you able to play the non-working stream with VLC? If not then it probably won’t work with Wowza. You have to figure out a working stream URI.

If you have a valid .sdp file you should be able to open it in the VLC GUI.

You can get better info, or at least easier to read info by reverting to INFO debug level, then adding this property to the Application.xml /MediaCaster Properties list:

<Property>
 <Name>debugRTSPSession</Name>
 <Value>true</Value>
 <Type>Boolean</Type>
</Property>

Are you using StreamManager? If so, with sdp announce you do not use StreamManager.

Richard

It is one or the other. If the encoder supports sdp announce you should not be using StreamManager. You should see a publish event in Wowza when you start the encoder and publish the stream.

Richard

Tools: vlc, ffmpeg with debug options, a packet sniffer. Does the source stream play in any way?

Are you able to play the non-working stream with VLC? If not then it probably won’t work with Wowza. You have to figure out a working stream URI.

If you have a valid .sdp file you should be able to open it in the VLC GUI.

Thanks for the reply. Yes I’ve tried this by opening the sdp file (The SDP announcements don’t seem to get picked up in VLC) and the working stream is ok, the non working stream is not ok. So maybe this points to a source streaming/framing problem.

Are there any tools to available to give me any hints as to what might be wrong?

Bobster

Richard,

Yes I am using stream manager. I have to start the live streeams manually. I’m using the technique in the simple tutorial link above.

I started another thread about not using the stream manager and just picking up the SDP announce here.

But at the moment this is not my major problem.

Bobster