Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help me understand how MediaCache work

Default Please help me understand how MediaCache work

Please correct me if I am wrong. This is my understanding on how mediacache work

You can store videos (any size) on a remote file server, Access it via http and have it streamed by wowza media server?

Yes, that is correct.

You can also use Wowza Dynamic Load Balancer to balance cluster of MediaCache edge servers
    http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....ncing-solution

Richard

would there be a big latency? due to me streaming from MediaCache?

Would it function well with thousands of media streaming via mediacache since the files are not on the streaming server locally?

There is some added latency when the stream is not in the cache, but not for clients thereafter subscribed to the same stream. I would just try it out at this point.

Richard

Actually, to be more accurate, there is not added latency for clients thereafter that are subscribe to a part of a stream that is in cache. Files are not cached as a whole

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rrlanham View Post
    Actually, to be more accurate, there is not added latency for clients thereafter that are subscribe to a part of a stream that is in cache. Files are not cached as a whole

Richard

So to my understand files are cached on the disk in pieces for viewing only? Correct me if I am wrong

Lets say I have 100 GB on the remote server full of videos, how much space do you need on the wowza media server for mediacache streaming? same amount?

Next, which server will use the most cpu/memory power, the remote server with the files being retrieved or the wowza media server that will be serving the files?

Last does this work well for multi-bitrate streaming?

MediaCache disk usage is configurable. You will have to use your best judgement and adjust as necessary.

I'm not sure what will use more server resources than the other but I am sure it depends on many factors and can be one or the other.

Yes, multi-bitrate will work, assuming content is key frame aligned. The smil is stored on the content server along-side the content which it references with relative url, so it does not have to change.

Richard

Wowza Dynamic Load Balancer will not be needed if I am using s3 as file storage correct?

Load balancer is not needed if you have only one Wowza server configured with MediaCache. If you have two or more, which is how you scale vod delivery, you need a load balancer to make it work, to distribute client connections among each server in the cluster.

Richard

hmmm is Load balancer assuming same file is across all servers ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast