Thread: Minor issues

Default Minor issues

1. I wanted to make sub folders in content, I tried it myself, didn't work, I checked the forums, but I mostly found for VOD. I tried to apply an slightly altered version of it, did not work.

2. Is there any way of starting a bunch of streams at the push of one button? An addon possibly? Not necessarily an official one. That is, for it to record prior streams.

Either way, so far I love Wowza and it's what we're looking for. I wish you a good night.
    Last edited by charbel; 05-22-2012 at 03:32 PM.

Hi charbel,

Let's try to narrow down your questions a bit.

1. What's the goal here? Live streams usually don't have any folders in the content dir, so I'm not sure what benefit adding folders would provide. Perhaps you just want to change the stream name? Or maybe you're using a .stream file and you want to put it in a different folder?
    2. What do you mean by "start a bunch of streams"? Make them available to be watched? Play them? Play .mp4 files that Wowza previously recorded from live streams?

1. My partner wants to organize the files, so that they are easier to find, that is the .stream files. Is it possible to make subdirectories for the live streams? If so, how would the path look in SM and the play path.

2. I mean that you record a group of streams names that you want to launch, and rather than having to do them manually, you just tell it to start that group.
    I was just wondering if there might be an unofficial addon for this?

Apart from that, everything is working great, we've already tested WMS on a VPS, though I'm having issues with getting VLC to work, I'm aware that you don't handle third party software issues, but do you possibly know what the problem could be?
    It's a ubuntu 10.04 VPS, is there a specific version I need or something? I've seen others with similar issues, but no solutions. What bugs me is the fact that it says "mozilla plugin" which is obviously an issue. (talking about the apt-get command that they suggest, it's obviously for a standard platform)
    What bugs me even more is that on VL's website they suggest that you download it manually for 10.04 since it's been having issues, but they don't offer a DL mirror.

Sorry about this, though I've been wasting quite some time and it gets frustrating, like I'm missing something obvious.

You can put .stream files in sub directories. In some cases you will then need to use application instance, like this, for example:

http://[wowza-address]:1935/live/_definst_/subfolder/somestream.stream
    If connect and stream are separate, the path is part of the stream name

Server: rtmp://[wowza-address]:1935/live
    Stream: subfolder/somestream.stream

Also take a look at this:
    http://www.wowza.com/forums/showthre...-stream-files)

Richard

charbel,

What they mean by manually is, instead of installing the 2 year old version of vlc included in the Ubuntu 10 repositories, you install from the PPA (a personal repository just for VLC) by following the instructions at the bottom of the vlc ubuntu download page.

Or, you could do a dist-upgrade to the current version of Ubuntu.

You don't need the mozilla plugin if you don't plan on running vlc from Mozilla. On your server, generally you will use "cvlc", the command line version of vlc.

Thanks for the responses.
    Randall, I already tried that, it did not work. Since I'm using a VPS, it's lacking too many dependencies for you to fix by hand. If you fix one, another one will be a "fatal error", which won't allow you to install VLC.
    I've decided to ask the provider of the VPS to implement VLC into it rather.
    Regarding the sub directories, I tried that, I'm pretty positive about that. But I must have done something wrong. Thanks for the help. ^^ I will try sub directories when I get home.

I shouldn't mass post, but just incase it takes longer for you to notice it on that post.
    I tried the listening that you linked Richard. I love it, but I can't seem to get it to listen to more than one mediatype at a time.
    Also it takes from server.xml, rather than live/application.xml, but that isn't an issue.

I was monitoring my traffic when I started wowza, to my surprise it strains the download speed, rather than the upload speed. I suppose that's because it "pulls" the stream.
    Could you tell me what each channel requires in download rate, Mbit-wise, and if the upload rate gets strained from more watchers on a stream.
    Also how much each channel takes in CPU and RAM. Keep in mind that each channel is 480p-720p(more of them are 480).
    I just want to calculate what we would need on our server. Also I'm planning on using a dedicated server rather than a VPS for the actual thing.
    Can I get your thoughts and opinions over these things?

I absolutely love the support here, thank you for your patience.

The concept of download/upload is relative to your frame of reference.

"Could you tell me what each channel requires in download rate"

Each time someone plays a stream, it will add the amount of that stream's bitrate to your overall bandwidth utilization. So if your stream is 200kbps, it adds 200kbps. If it is 1000kbps, it adds 1000kbps, per stream being played.

When using TCP, such as with RTMP, the majority of your bandwidth utilization will be from people downloading from your server, and there will be some very minor upload utilization (~.01%) for TCP protocol overhead/responses. It's generally not a concern.

Some info here about calculating memory utilization per stream. 3-4MB per stream seems a safe guess.

You'll need to do your own load testing.

Interesting, I had always thought that streaming utilized upload rather than download, at least when it came to watching, so you're telling me to get a dedicated server with good download rate and decent ram, do you possibly know of any good providers in europé? Regarding mediacaster types, is it possible to listen to two types or hasn't it gotten that far?
    Last edited by charbel; 06-06-2012 at 04:07 AM.