Wowza Community

Multiple smil files for multiple live streams

I know this has probably been asked before, but can’t seem to find anything using search.

My content consists of thousands of videos. These are further broken down into live streams (VOD as live stream). My question is this, is there a way to specify a separate .smil file for each stream, or if I were to set them up as separate live applications, could I specify what .smil file to use for each application? Trying to put all of those videos into one .smil file seems to be rather labor heavy, not to mention trying to locate an error in a list that large. I don’t even know how big of a .smil file WOWZA can handle.

Hi

You can add different playlists to a specific stream as shown in the example here,

https://www.wowza.com/docs/how-to-schedule-streaming-with-wowza-streaming-engine-streampublisher

You could also have the separate .smil files but to do this you will have to change the stream scheduler code at the top of the tutorial linked above.

Jason

Right, you can build as many schedulers as you want/need.

Richard

Hi

You could also have the separate .smil files but to do this you will have to change the stream scheduler code at the top of the tutorial linked above.

If you need a consultant to make the changes in the code for the stream scheduler you can email support@wowza.com asking for the independent consultants list.

Jason

Yes, I know I can have playlists, that is not my question. In other words, I want a separate smil file for each playlist, or to make it simple, I want 10 different applications, all live, serving different media.

I can’t believe there is no way built into a streaming server that does not allow for this. If my library grows to tens of thousands of videos, keeping up with one single smil file would be impossible.

is there a specific answer to how to change the code of the stream scheduler? i would like to know how to have more streams possible in one smil file and otherwise to get more smil files to be used just like the main streamschedule.smil file.

Hi @tyrone abital. For clarity, in this particular workflow, a “stream” is a channel for example like the ABC channel here in the USA. Let’s use VOD as an example here. On the ABC channel (stream), there are multiple video files or TV shows.

Each application you set up has to have its own SMIL file but can have several video files ( mp4s for example.) I dare not say streams here because that is where it gets confusing. In this case, the stream is the overall channel (ABC).

To answer your question though, you can create a SMIL file with several video assets (mp4s for example) and many playlists scheduled for a user to select one of those mp4s (or live).

Again, this is something that can be really confusing due to the language used in this type of workflow.

Here is some sample code and please feel free to submit a support ticket to get this set up if you’d like our engineers to help. We’ve assisted several customers with this as it would be complicated to have hundreds of video assets in one only SMIL file and one application.

So, it is possible to have several video files in one SMIL file and to have several applications with its own SMIL file. You can set up as many as you want. I’m not sure that helped, but I hope it did a little.

https://www.wowza.com/docs/how-to-schedule-streaming-with-wowza-streaming-engine-streampublisher#schedules

normally you can use max 3 streams. i would like to be able to use more than 3 streams so i could go for more than just 3 channels. i have developer version of wowza streaming engine and i´m interested to do it all by myself if possible. is there an example of how to expand?

<streamname=“Stream1”>

<streamname=“Stream2”>

<streamname=“Stream3”>

Thanks for the response and help.

Hi
The limitation of 3 is because you’re using a none-commercial key. The free license keys such as Trial and Developer have a publishing limit of 3. The log file should indicate that you’ve reached a maximum publish limit and this will not occur when using a Subscription or Perpetual edition license key.

Regards,
Jason Hilton
Wowza Support Engineer

1 Like