Thread: App config per live audio stream publisher a good or bad idea?

Question App config per live audio stream publisher a good or bad idea?

Hi,

I've worked a little with Wowza, but still have a lot to learn. Planning to read through a bunch of docs today, but a quick response to this question could help guide me. I'm working on a Wowza config for a website that's going to serve lots of podcast style audio feeds. In time ideally there will be a lot of registered audio publishers (maybe 1000+). I'm a consultant and not sure of all the project details, but I'm assuming usually most registered audio publishing users will be idle (no stream available).

What I'm not clear on is best practice in this type of scenario related to what the application config/partitioning should look like. I'm wondering if it would be good or bad to have a unique application (although basically just duplicated or inherited from a template) per registered audio publisher. I could imagine this being a bad move if each app uses significant resources beyond what would be needed for an additional stream in a global audio publishing app, especially if more than a tiny bit of those resources are required when the app is idle/not in use.

A big area for me to get clear on is the authentication features for publishing RTMP audio streams. I found tutorials/howtos on this site for RTMP URL authentication that use a password file in the apps folder. A reason I wonder about it being maybe good to have one app per user is that the authentication for this project should not be at the global level, but rather a certain username/password would have rights to only publish to certain streams. I'm thinking I will likely need to come up with a custom java module to extend authentication support, so I could imagine after doing that maybe having a setup work great with a global app that all the audio publishers use.

Any input is appreciated,

Thanks.

I would make an application per customer. Create them all within the default VHost. (Creating multiple VHosts is usually not necessary and is difficult to tune.)

Take a look at the MediaSecurity Addon
    http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....tion-and-more)

Then look at this method of creating password files per application.
    http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....authentication

Also note that you can turn on Application logging. Take a look at the /conf/log4j.properties file, there is a section that you can uncomment.

For your continued reading, take a look at this flat view of all articles, tutorials and examples:
    http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....f-All-Articles

Richard

I see you're also the one who responded to my transcoder license questions. Thanks for your help.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think those first two links you reference are what I used to get RTMP authentication working in my initial setup. That last with the flat view of articles might be very useful, I'll look through it.

Are you familiar with the resource implications for using a huge number (possibly thousands) of applications, most of which are usually idle / no streams present? While the exposure to those security pages makes the right setup seem to possibly be one app per registered live stream publisher, I worry idle apps could still use significant resources and not be good to use. Also not sure if Wowza provides good configuration features for like importing / deriving from a template config. I suppose that's much less a concern though since it would be easy enough to script config file generation from a template.

Actually, if nobody responds with a confident answer on resource / performance considerations, I will test on my own and report back. Should be easy enough to look at the Wowza process memory usage stats.

Unloaded applications use very little or no resources.

If all or most of your applications will use the same, identical configuration you can make short work by configuring /conf/Application.xml and only adding /applications/[app-name] to create a new application, i.e., not bother with /conf/[app-name]/Application.xml. If you just have the application folder, then /conf/Application.xml is used when it is started.

Richard