Wowza Community

nDVR content to MP4 file

Hi there … I’m working on a project where nDVR is used for checking of ad campaigs on a live TV station. With playlist delegate, users can check different times of the nDVR recording for that.

I’m wondering if there’s a way to convert a piece of nDVR content into an MP4 file, even if it’s through a different application.

The scenario would be like following. I’ve 24 hs of nDVR, I playback from 10:00 AM to 10:30 AM … I found an issue and I want that to be archived for audit, so I tell Wowza to convert or playback that video from 10:00 to 10:30 but the output instead of been streamed, to be recorded as a MP4 file. Is that doable within Wowza, or should I start thinking on an external module for it?

Actually, it’d be better to do it from Wowza itself, if I don’t need to do a regular playback, but a file generation as it’d be faster (I don’t need to wait 30 mins for the 30 mins playback of the example)

Thanks

Being able to convert .mp4a and .mpfv files created by nDVR into a .mp4 file is a feature that we are considering for a future release. No release date set yet.

To solve this now, in your Application.xml, you can use StreamType “live-record” coupled with configuration for nDVR. This will provide both the ability to play/pause/rewind/resume while recording live through nDVR and also have the recording in .mp4 format for on demand playback later once the recording is completed. For more control, you can use the Live Stream Record Module instead of StreamType “live-record”.

-Lisa

Not that I have heard.

Richard

No, this is not supported at present.

Richard

I do not have any time frame, but it is being considered for a future release of Wowza.

Richard

Using nDVR alone the files are not convertible at present

You can use HTTPLiveStreamRecord or StreamType “live-record” to also record an .mp4 file.

https://www.wowza.com/docs/how-to-record-live-streams-httplivestreamrecord

Richard

This is a feature we are still considering for a future release. There is no date set yet when this may be available.

-Lisa

Does any news about to convert .mp4a and .mpfv files created by nDVR into a .mp4 file ?

Any idea if this is coming anytime soon… It is a handy feature

Hi,

The feature you are asking about is not currently available. It is on the roadmap, but there is no set time frame on when it will become available.

Zoran

Does new release of wowza 3.5 able to convert chunks of dvr files to a single .mp4 file ? I am using 3.1.

Does any news about to convert .mp4a and .mpfv files created by nDVR into a .mp4 file ?

Being able to convert .mp4a and .mpfv files created by nDVR into a .mp4 file is a feature that we are considering for a future release. No release date set yet.

To solve this now, in your Application.xml, you can use StreamType “live-record” coupled with configuration for nDVR. This will provide both the ability to play/pause/rewind/resume while recording live through nDVR and also have the recording in .mp4 format for on demand playback later once the recording is completed. For more control, you can use the Live Stream Record Module instead of StreamType “live-record”.

-Lisa

Hi Lisa,

Sorry a bit confused by this - your answer above seems to suggest that you can do the play/pause/rewind etc on a recorded live stream and it will also save the recording in mp4 format for playback later but some of the later posts say that it is not possible yet to convert the Wowza recorded files (mp4a and mpfv) to mp4. Have I misunderstood something? Can you clarify for me please.

Thanks