Thread: Basic requirements for recording EC2 stream

Default Basic requirements for recording EC2 stream

Hi,

I have been successfully live streaming using FMLE -> Wowza/EC2 -> LongTail JW Player.
    As far as I can tell, this has cost us a $5 monthly fee plus $0.08 an hour for the EC2 instance.
    Payments are to Amazon, what they pass on to Wowza is not my concern.

How can we record the live stream?
    I don't per se need DVR functionality, it is enough if somehow I can get the recorded stream once the live event has been completed.

I see that Wowza has a module called LiveStreamRecord. However I cannot figure how to use it.

You also have a add-on called nDVR.
    This costs $2 a day for the add-on, while in use.
    I have not been able to get it to work, and do not know if and how to move the recorded to a normal server to be able to shut down the DVR after the event.

Furthermore, as far as I can make out, this add-on is only available to users with a Wowza license.
    This license costs $5 a day (I do 4 - 6 streams a month for now, so monthly obviously makes no sense).
    To this end, I purchased a daily license. At the end of the (failed) attempt I tried to cancel the license.
    I don't understand the need for this cost - I already have use of Wowza through EC2, so why should we be paying for a license?

Canceling the license took three emails and 40 hours, which is pretty bad for a daily license - especially as there is no way to turn it back on in five days for the next performance.

So here are the questions:
    1. What is the easiest to have the server record a live event?
    2. Is there a way to use LiveStream Record over EC2?
    3. Is there any other alternative besdes nDVR?
    4. Does nDVR really require a Wowza License?
    5. If so, how do I easily enable this license for the one day the recording is had?
    6. How do I get the recorded video in a usable format after the event?
    7. What other charges or actions must I be aware to watch out for?

Thank you all

Hi Sam,

You seem a little frustrated. Let's see if I can clear things up.

"I don't understand the need for this cost - I already have use of Wowza through EC2, so why should we be paying for a license?"

The Pre-Built AMIs do not support the Wowza Addons. You need to use the Lickey (License Key) method. This means that your Amazon usage will be separately billed from your Wowza license usage, rather than all payments going throw Amazon. In other words, it would be similar to renting a dedicated server and installing Wowza yourself.

"Canceling the license took three emails and 40 hours, which is pretty bad for a daily license - especially as there is no way to turn it back on in five days for the next performance."

-You don't need to cancel the daily license. Especially if you are going to stream again in 5 days. You will only be billed for the days that you start Wowza with the daily license key in the Server.license file. For days that you don't want to be billed you can use your dev license. Does that make sense?

So here are the questions:

1. What is the easiest to have the server record a live event?
    -Use the live-record streamType in your Application.xml. See the User Guide for more info.

2. Is there a way to use LiveStream Record over EC2?
    -Yes. It should work.

3. Is there any other alternative besdes nDVR?
    -For recording? Yes, with a module or by using a *record streamType.

4. Does nDVR really require a Wowza License?
    -Yes.

5. If so, how do I easily enable this license for the one day the recording is had?
    -You just turn on the dvrrecorder in your Applicartion.xml, as per the DVR Tutorial.

6. How do I get the recorded video in a usable format after the event?
    -I don't think you need to do anything. You just playback the previously recorded stream.

7. What other charges or actions must I be aware to watch out for?
    -I don't think there are any other charges that what's listed on the Wowza Buy page. But, Amazon has lots of charges/rates. So, be careful there.
    Last edited by dave_n; 01-15-2013 at 01:21 PM.

Default Thank you

That response was clear and comprehensive.
    I just read your post - haven't yet tried it - but have to say thank you very much.

Default It didn't work yet, please help

Based on your reply, I understand that there are three ways to record:
    a. setting the stream type to live-record
    b. Using the LiveStreamRecord module
    c. using nDVR and a lic-key Wowza instance.

In order to take the first route, the documentation seems to say that all I need is to change the following line in Application.xml
    <StreamType>live</StreamType> to <StreamType>live-record</StreamType>

I have done so, changing both conf/Aplication.xml, and conf/live/Application.xml [am using the URI of rtmp://ec2..../live]
    This has not worked - the live video shows but there is no recording in home/wowza/content
    What could I be doing wrong? I didn't notice any other steps in the docs.
    I tried with the DVR flag in FMLE both on and off.

Also, the fact that Wowza forums auto logs me out after a few minutes caused that after I wrote a much longer post, it was lost with no recourse.
    Why is it set that way? Sigh. Ignore this complaint, but please help me get the server running.
    Last edited by SamGoody; 06-04-2012 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Typo

Make sure you re-start Wowza or that the application was stopped in JConsole or by being idle after you made the change.

If the source is MediaCaster stream, a stream you start in StreamManager or /conf/StartUpStreams.xml, then you can use MediaCaster type "rtp-record" to start recording

Richard

It worked.

live-record and a reboot was all it needed.

Thank you very much.

You're welcome. Glad it's working. Thanks for the update

Richard