Thread: How to get the host name and ip

Default How to get the host name and ip

I've done some searching, gone through the docs and played around and it's not obvious to me so I thought I would quickly ask in case somebody knows.

How do I get the host name and IP of the host server of Wowza through server side code? I want to get these values on the application start (onAppStart)

Thanks
    Graeme

You could set them in Application.xml Property settings. I don't think Wowza has a way of knowing what hostname a server is reachable through, or the IP addresses, unless they are set in a VHost /HostPort /IpAddress, in which case there is probably some way.

Richard

I was wondering if I would need to do that. That sucks, I would have rather it be dynamic so that I don't have to make a custom Application.xml file for every server we have.

4. Default

Couldn't you just define those values as properties in Vhost.xml, and then read them using application.getVhost.getProperties() ?

From the vhost interface you can get the list of HostPorts:

HostPortList hostPortList = appInstance.getVHost().getHostPortsList();
    Charlie

Yes, setting a Property in a VHost.xml or Server.xml will work to avoid maintaining per app

Richard

Yes, I realize I *can* do that, but I didn't want to. It would be awesome if I could just get it dynamically.

Feature request!!

You can use a hostname in HostPort /IpAddress, and you can get all HostPorts in Charlie's example, then you should be able to look at each HostPort IpAddress. If it is set using a hostname you can get that.

HostPortList hostPortList = appInstance.getVHost().getHostPortsList();

for (int i=0;i<hostPortList.size();i++)
    {
    	HostPort port =hostPortList.get(i);
    	String ip = port.getAddressStr();
    }

Thanks Richard. When I output it I get:

INFO server comment - ip: + [any]
    INFO server comment - ip: + [any]

Getting there. I think for now I'll stick it in the vhost xml file. It's not too bad of a solution.

I think this means you have the default "*" in the HostPort IpAddress fields, i.e., any IP address. The suggestion is to replace the "*" with a hostname (that resolves to a ip on that machine), then it should show up.

Richard