Thread: FMS to Wowza - streams buffering badly

Default FMS to Wowza - streams buffering badly

Hello,

I followed steps as mentioned on below article but for some reason, all those streams are buffering very badly on edge servers that pulling from our Origin Server.

http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....such-as-Akamai

Encoder >> FMS >> Wowza-Origin (Stream Type - live) >> Wowza-Edge (StreamType - liverepeater-edge)

Am I missing anything here?

Thanks,
    S

What type of clients? Flash RTMP, other? Are you testing with Wowza example clients? Which one(s)?

Do you get the same buffering from clients at different locations? Do you get the same buffering in the same clients when streaming directly from the origin? If yes to both, that indicates bandwidth issues between the edge and the origin, or problem with the origin.

Richard

Richard,

I am using example RTMP client to test (simplevideostreaming.html)

It is not buffering on ingest but buffering very badly from nearest edge servers too.

Thanks,
    S

The symptom points to a bitrate/bandwidth problem, a common issue. In this case there are three places to look, ingest (source to Wowza), origin to edge, and edge to client. So this is why I ask if you get the same buffering from clients at different locations? Do you get the same buffering in the same clients when streaming directly from the origin? If yes to both, that indicates bandwidth issues between the edge and the origin, or problem with the origin source.

You can try reducing the bitrate of the stream, which should improve playback, but it doesn't tell you where the problem was or best solution. If you find from testing that the problem was the client location, and that other locations are not as limited, then the solution can be multi-bitrate delivery or more optimal single stream bitrate. If the problem is uplink from encoder to Wowza, you have to improve it or reduce bitrate. If the edge to origin is where the bandwidth bottle-neck is, then you have to improve that or reduce bitrate.

You seem confident about the ingest, but here is a tool that shows bandwidth from a client to Wowza, i.e. the uplink
    http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....ent-to-Server)

Richard