Wowza Community

RTSP on adroid devices

Hi,

We are using Wowza 3.1 for rtsp streaming to android devices and we have some problems. Clients behind firewall or NAT’s can’t view our stream. Generally their ports are closed.

Does it’s possible to use only port 80 for rtsp/rtp streaming?

Thx in advance

Hi

Yes you can use rtsp/rtp over port 80, and you should be able to use any of the other protocols over any main streaming ports.

Jason

hi,

use rtsp port 554 and read the wowza rtsp manual one more time u get the idea…

Yes, that’s right. There is more info in depth on this here:

https://www.wowza.com/docs/how-to-troubleshoot-rtsp-rtp-playback

Richard

There is no special Wowza configuration for this. The client controls this, and as far as I know the Android devices will only do rtsp streaming over UDP. VLC will start with UDP and failover to TCP.

This guide shows how to configure Quicktime on Windows

https://www.wowza.com/docs/how-to-configure-apple-quicktime-player-for-rtsp-rtp-playback-on-windows

Note that the Mac version of Quicktime is several point releases ahead and does not require this.

Richard

So, do you have consistent good results with Android 2.1+ using Flash client? Are you doing RTMP or sanjose or both? What about the audio, do you find AAC to be necessary? That is my understanding.

Richard

…as I know the Android devices will only do rtsp streaming over UDP…

Richard

That is quite correct - I’ve actually dumped bothering to deliver anything to android (2.1 and lower) from Wowza, Android’s RTSP implementation sucks. Even if devices can connect and consume content - you can’t seek in OD RTSP, the player just spits debug “live stream, seek not supported etc”.

Hello apache & mod-h264.

Any droid with Flash support works nicely.

What i know that wowza uses a port range 6970-9999 for rtsp streaming, is this wrong?

Charlie wrote this before :

Wowza supports RTSP/RTP tunneling (RTSP/RTP over HTTP ala QuickTime), RTSP/RTP interleaved (RTP over TCP) and regular RTSP/RTP over UDP.

To use RTSP/RTP tunneling (RTSP/RTP over HTTP ala QuickTime), what changes i must do in configuration files?