Thread: Suitable for daycare installation?

Default Suitable for daycare installation?

Hi folks, I've been reading a lot of material in the forums and articles, but I'm not totally clear on whether Wowza would be appropriate for our setup.

We have a small daycare facility with < 5 cameras, and expect to have < 30 users (parents) authenticated on a per-camera basis. Currently our upstream bandwidth is choking when 5-10 people log in to view MJPEG streams from the cameras, so we're looking to off-load that and have one stream out per camera at most.

Our cameras are also PTZ (pan/tilt/zoom) enabled, so we're looking for low-latency (say 250ms?) to keep the round-trip control responsive.

I understand there are profiles intended for live streaming and live-lowlatency, but wondering if anyone can point me toward current documentation or tutorials that might help in this specific setup. I'm finding a lot of information, but it hasn't been clear to me the process I should take to make it happen.

I also understand Wowza requires H.264, so we would need some intervening software to encode the MJPEG streams and send to Wowza (e.g. VLC). We've had reliability issues with streams and facility internet, so I'm a little wary of adding in another stage that can fail requiring manual intervention. Are there ways of automatically regaining failed streams?

Anyway, I've signed up for the trial server, so I suspect things will be clearer once I dive in, but would appreciate a bit of a short cut on the learning curve.

Thanks!
    Justin

For basic steps for setting up an IP camera workflow, take a look at this How to re-stream video from an IP camera tutorial. This does assume you have an IP camera that support H.264 video and AAC/MP3 audio. If you are using an Axis camera, also take a look at this article. You should be able to use a tool such as VLC to transcode from MJPEG to H.264 and there are some sample commands in their forum.

-Lisa

Justin, you might have to do some script-fu on your website to get the PTZ to be sent to the camera. Especially if you want multiple people to control it who are not connected directly to the camera.

Thanks guys, I'll work through that documentaion.

Yeah I expected the scripting might be necessary. Alternatively I might leave the routing in for standard inbound HTTPS calls, and just mask the outbound video feed in our reverse proxy. Basically let people log into the camera for commanding, but log into the Wowza stream for return video.

Speaking of authentication and log-in, is there any capability for authenticating access to the streams in Wowza, or is that generally handled elsewhere? How have people set that up in the past?

Take a look at the Media Security AddOn package. The zip file includes documentation describing how to set up authentication for publishing and playback.

-Lisa