Thread: Flash Encoder with H.264 can generate "warning: invalid wideband mode encountered"

Default Flash Encoder with H.264 can generate "warning: invalid wideband mode encountered"

I have begun to see this line in the logs when I am transcoding an H.264/Speex stream from the Flash 11 encoder to H.264/AAC.
    warning: Invalid wideband mode encountered: corrupted stream?

Sometimes this will appear repeatedly in the log, then disappear, and the stream will continue to play.

I have also seen that generate a fatal error and crash Wowza. When this happens I will usually see a message like the following:

INFO server comment - LiveStreamPacketizerCupertino.handlePacket[unisfairorigin/_definst_/1315916933432@s17438][avc1.100.31]: H.264 (Video may not be playable on older iPhone and iPod touch devices where Baseline/Level 3.0 or lower is required) Video info: {H264CodecConfigInfo: codec:H264, profile:High, level:3.1, frameSize:720x480, displaySize:720x480, frameRate:59.94, PAR:1:1}
    #
    # A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
    #
    # SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x00007f65e60809cd, pid=18806, tid=140074899379968
    #
    # JRE version: 7.0_03-b04
    # Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (22.1-b02 mixed mode linux-amd64 compressed oops)
    # Problematic frame:
    # C [libc.so.6+0x789cd]warning: Invalid mode encountered: corrupted stream?
    [thread 140074437846784 also had an error]

This will be followed a few seconds later by
    # [ timer expired, abort... ]

and Wowza will quit.

I have set the flash encoder to be 240p, so the 720x480 is a bit of a shock in the log. Also when the system "seems" to be able to recover, I do not always see a log of the video settings to know what parameters might be causing this.

I did a search of the forums for the "Invalid wideband mode encountered" message, but did not find anything. Could someone explain the settings that can trigger this warning and an explanation of why the particular ones above, made Wowza quit?

Thanks
    Kevin

It looks like we may have shipped a slightly incorrect version of libspeex.so. Please download and install this patch. Let me know if it corrects the issue:

WowzaMediaServer3.1.1-patch9.zip

Please let us know if this resolves the issue.

I am not sure about the frame size. I know the Flash player does not always honor frame size changes. It is also strange that the profile is High which is also most likely not supported by the Flash player encoder. To me it looks like some other encoder is connecting to your server.

Charlie

Hi Charlie, thank you for the patch, I will let you know what happens.

I thought the profile High was very odd as well. This is a dev instance of Wowza and I am the only one connecting to it. The two sources are FMLE (which only emits Baseline and Main) and the Flash encoder. It is the new version 11 (obviously, I guess if it is able to encode H.264 :-). I know that the Flash encoder will make changes in things like bitrate and frame rate, unfortunately, I did not know it would change Profile and Level as well, but it appears it does. Unless, perhaps, odd reporting is one of the issues with the libspeex.so I have.

Anyway, I will update this thread as soon as I have more info. It may be in the morning.

Kevin

Charlie,

I loaded the patch this morning and sent a Flash encoded (H.264/Speex) stream through FMS to the Wowza server for about a half hour. I did not see those errors, so I believe that the "wideband mode" error is fixed.

Thanks
    Kevin

Great, thanks for feedback!

Charlie