Thread: nDVR and load balancing with access to same fast storage system

Default nDVR and load balancing with access to same fast storage system

Hello,

I've waded through several of the posts here and I'm still struggling to understand how to best configure Wowza for our particular needs. Here's what we need:

• Load balancing and failover across two nDVR capable Wowza instances
      • We are buying two server licenses
      • We are buying two nDVR add-on licenses
      • All streams recorded by one instance should be available on the other instance, whether they are live or previously recorded
    • Clients access the Wowza cluster using only a single hostname or IP address like <protocol>://<hostname>/dvr
      • Is there any non-client-side way to do this besides creating a virtual IP wrapper around the systems?
    • Both Wowza instances talk to the same fast and scalable storage system
      • I'm assuming it's a big no-no to have both instances use the same directory, so would they each just need their own subdirectory on this storage system?
      • I'm also assuming that the relevant setting is the "DVR/StorageDir" configuration item in the Application.xml file

Any resources that would help me properly configure multiple instances with the above constraints would be greatly appreciated. Alternatively, if this level of discussion requires something more interactive like a phone call, please let me know. If I'm thinking about it all wrong, constructive criticism with alternatives would be helpful.

Thanks!

If you have one of your Wowza servers set up as an origin server and one as an edge server, then the recorded files will be in one location, whatever you specify in Application.xml /DVR/StorageDir on your origin server. If you haven't already seen it, take a look at the article describing running Wowza nDVR as a Live Stream Repeater. An origin/edge set up will allow you to scale for live streaming. This will also allow you to have one URL, the edge URL to provide to your clients. The playback section of the live repeater article has sample syntax. For example, to playback using the sample Strobe player, the URL would be something like
    http://[wowza-ip-address]:1935/edgeserver/myStream/manifest.f4m?DVR
    -Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by lisa_w View Post
    If you have one of your Wowza servers set up as an origin server and one as an edge server, then the recorded files will be in one location, whatever you specify in Application.xml /DVR/StorageDir on your origin server. If you haven't already seen it, take a look at the article describing running Wowza nDVR as a Live Stream Repeater. An origin/edge set up will allow you to scale for live streaming. This will also allow you to have one URL, the edge URL to provide to your clients. The playback section of the live repeater article has sample syntax. For example, to playback using the sample Strobe player, the URL would be something like
    http://[wowza-ip-address]:1935/edgeserver/myStream/manifest.f4m?DVR
    -Lisa
    This sounds like it would cover the load balancing part, but probably not the redundancy part. I'm looking for a configuration that will allow for both load balancing and redundancy such that the clients can still reach one server instance if the other is down. Is this possible?

Thanks!

Replace myStream with mystream.stream.

Create a text file in the edge content folder with that name and extension. mystream.stream (make sure there is not .txt extension added by text editor and that it is plain text)

Make the contents of mystream.stream something like this:

rtmp://[wowza-origin1-address]/liveorigin/myStream|rtmp://[wowza-origin2-address]/liveorigin/myStream
    Then start the stream on the edge use StreamManager or /conf/StartUpStreams.xml to start stream name "mystream.stream" with MediaCaster type "liverepeater"

playback URL in iOS:
    http://[wowza-edge1-address]:1935/liveedge/mystream.stream/playlist.m3u8
    Also, change the StreamType from "liverepeater-edge" to "live" on the edge, so ensure StreamManager has full control.

Richard