Thread: Wowza server hosting

Question Wowza server hosting

Hi, one of my client do conferencing about 3 times a weeks for about an hour.
    They start running out of physical space so they'll begin offering live stream of the conference to registered members.
    The solution will need to be scalable since they think it will be popular.

They want the stream to be in HD if possible. I'm personally unsure of the feasibility of it since I don't think they have the proper internet connection, either way I have to plan for it. At the beginning the viewer count will be low but they want the solution to be able to handle 200 simultaneous viewer down the road. If you can offer me a scalable solution, this would be better than just buying a bigger package that we will need at the start but I would still need to know what will be the future pricing. The viewers will all be located in Eastern Canada.

I usually use Drupal for my websites and I would like to continue to use it. I already have a VPS that can handle the website traffic but I need to find a webhost to host the wowza server, handle the live stream and the saved stream re-stream.

Do you have any recommendation of host that would provide the required infrastructure and which of their plan that will meet my requirement?

Thank you for your help.
    Last edited by Just1dev; 06-21-2012 at 10:26 AM.

2. Default

For your needs, Amazon's EC2 sounds very flexible, since you only need to pay while you stream and should be able to handle what will probably be around 500mbps of traffic or so, assuming 2mbps per stream and some overhead.

Quote Originally Posted by cbighea View Post
    For your needs, Amazon's EC2 sounds very flexible, since you only need to pay while you stream and should be able to handle what will probably be around 500mbps of traffic or so, assuming 2mbps per stream and some overhead.
    Thank you, from your experience, what the cost per user (for 1 hour long stream) on EC2?

I also need to provide on demand re-stream of previous events. Would it still be cheaper on EC2 since I have to maintain an instance running 24/7? Thanks.

5. Default

At 2mbps, you're looking at 900MB per hour, per user, let's call it 1GB, so maybe 200GB per hour, assuming everyone tunes in for the full hour. 200 * 0.12 cents per GB = 24$, but that's just for the bandwidth. At 3 times a week, that's 288$ just for the bandwidth, assuming all users tune in.

A dedicated server might be cheaper than EC2 if you also need VOD, though it all depends on your traffic, which at this point is just an estimate.

At 2mbps, you're looking at 900MB per hour, per user, let's call it 1GB, so maybe 200GB per hour, assuming everyone tunes in for the full hour. 200 * 0.12 cents per GB = 24$, but that's just for the bandwidth. At 3 times a week, that's 288$ just for the bandwidth, assuming all users tune in.

A dedicated server might be cheaper than EC2 if you also need VOD, though it all depends on your traffic, which at this point is just an estimate.
    Exactly the answer I was looking for, Thank you very much cbighea!