Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: re: Dedicated Wowza Server options

Default re: Dedicated Wowza Server options

if i dont want to spend tons of time managing a server, is it even slightly plausible I could run a non-managed wowza server?

(i can see a bit of set up but im too busy to be wowza server tech guy all the time)

or are manged wowza servers generally the same as other types (meaning the company handles keeping the thing going but any app issues that come up they tell you to go hire a dev!)

I don't know of a managed Wowza Server offering. Assuming you do, you would have to get the details of what they offer from the hosting company.

Richard

3. Default

Influxis has Wowza plans, both virtual and dedicated. I don't know what level of management they provide beyond server installation and hardware support. I would assume that when it comes to your apps and code, they will not offer support (I don't know of any hosting provider that supports customer's applications)

Hello
    If you want to save time configuring and managing Wowza applications you could try Control-Z Tool (a web GUI for Wowza 3)
    We have a Showcase here on the forum,
    http://www.wowza.com/forums/showthre...and-statistics

or you can check out the details for Control-Z Tool from our website,
    https://www.bonzaware.com/products/controlztool/

We are constantly adding new features to this product and always welcome feedback from our potential customers.
    You can request a Free 5 day trial for this product, details are at the bottom of the page linked above.

Regards
    BonzaWare Staff

@bonza

when are you going to offer hosting?
    Last edited by bobmane; 07-03-2012 at 11:36 AM.

6. Default

I don't think any hosting provider currently offers wowza server management, except maybe under "best effort". If you want to keep things cheap you need to start brushing up on the Wowza documentation. Our own hosting clients usually go with an outside consultant to take care of Wowza.

Hello,
    We have a schedule for a Wowza hosting service and this is currently on target which is currently 20th August 2012.
    When we have added the relevant functionality to Control-Z Tool which includes FTP management, additional statistics and further bandwidth controls it will be ready for launch.

At present we are receiving a tremendous amount of positive and constructive feedback on Control-Z Tool and are taking this into account which is enabling us to add additional features that have been requested by our current customers.

Regards
    BonzaWare Staff

I don't think any hosting provider currently offers wowza server management, except maybe under "best effort". If you want to keep things cheap you need to start brushing up on the Wowza documentation. Our own hosting clients usually go with an outside consultant to take care of Wowza.
    1) what do you mean "Our own hosting clients " - what do you do?

2) well lets assume i buy a dedicated wowza host plan and somehow find the far fetched (and available) wowza it guru guy to configure + proved basic day to day operational tips.

2a) is there any realistic measure of how much time i would have to spend running the server assuming it was all tuned to start with and was not experiencing any unusual variations in demand?

3) all the ready made SaaS that are built on wowza impose data limits, storage limits and limit access to all wowza. then again, it seems alot of the wowza hosts also have similar data limits

3a) are there any hosts that you pay a monthly fee but not additional metering fees (like the Saas)

3b)is there any SaaS the has open access to wowza ?

4) trying to crunch the numbers in my head on this one but if anyone who has experience could answer: what if I just go buy a super duper fancy computer (assume i'd also need one back up server) then just run it myself.

4a) by the time i invest in the hardware, the time to get it going + run it...might be worth it ----- if ----- am I going to end up just paying at&t (or similar) their data costs anyway making the whole exercise a waste of time???
    Last edited by bobmane; 07-05-2012 at 09:14 AM.

9. Default

1) I happen to work for a hosting company.

2a) You may need to invest a few hours a month (depending on your skill) to administer the server itself, as servers still need to be kept up to date, and there may be an occasional problem to debug. If the Wowza consultant is only doing work on wowza itself, you will be responsible for every other server-related incident.

It seems that for 3 and 4 you would want to somehow avoid paying bandwidth fees. I don't see how you think this could work. Even with an SaaS solution, the host still needs to cover the costs of the hardware, colocating the hardware as well as bandwidth costs. Unless you have optical fiber running directly to your house, a datacenter-grade electrical and cooling setup in your house, you shouldn't bother running a server at home.

Hi
    Quote Originally Posted by cbighea View Post
    you will be responsible for every other server-related incident.
    Just to clarify the independent consultant list shows a view of fields that the individual consultants have experience with.
    Should you wish them to do more work than just the Wowza configuration, this is something that you can discuss with them.

Jason

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast