Thread: Extremely High RTMP Bandwidth?

Default Extremely High RTMP Bandwidth?

I'm streaming videos from my Wowza server which are encoded at 1000kbps. However, streaming them to a web page with JW Player, the video is taking up as much as 16000kbps and a minimum of 5000kbps while streaming. Our users are experiencing performance issues because of bandwidth limitations and I'm curious as to why it is so high.

Are you sure you are streaming one of the encoded streams? It sounds like you are streaming the source

Richard

We are streaming files, but (for example) one of the files is 1134 seconds (just over 19 minutes) and has a filesize of 174 MB. This should work out to 1228 kbps. Is there another file I should be streaming?

Sorry, I got the (wrong) impression you were using the Transcoder... anyway, the calculation seems right. (174 * 8 / duration). Where are you getting this report of 5000kbs to 16000kbs?

The Wowza Silverlight example will display bitrate of single stream.

Richard

I'm using two things:

a) JW Player has a quality monitor:
    http://www.longtailvideo.com/support...in-users-guide

b) I thought these numbers were really high, so I installed a windows network meter widget.
    http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...orkmeter-1.png
    The current largest spikes on that meter hit about 15Mbps. This may be because I'm testing on a wireless connection, but the overall datarate is about consistent with that of the JW Player's quality monitor.

EDIT: I'll also note that we're encoding to mp4/mov files.

Probably you have configured your player to download the files from your webserver via progressive download rather than being streamed by Wowza.

JW Player quality monitor's bandwdth display is the players perceived available networking capacity - NOT the incoming bitrate of the stream

There appears to be some confusion in that plugin page, mentioning two "widths": 720 pixels, and 480px. Usually we reference height: 480p, 720p, etc...