Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will this run?

Question Will this run?

Hi,

I am planning to start a VOD service with 200 featured films (100 min) and lets say our peak will be 500 viewers at time. For starter we have one older server and I would like to know if it will be able to run WOWZA server and DRM addon just fine:

CPU: 2x Xeon Quad 1,8 Ghz
    RAM: 8GB Full ECC
    HDD: 2x SSD (250GB) Raid 1, 1x HDD (backup)
    ISP: 1Gbit
    Video quality: SD (640x360 PAL) 800-1240 kbps

What do you think? Will this be fine?

Filip

A dual quad with 8g ram is good. A newer CPU would be better. The disks should be RAID 0 or RAID 1+0 to get a performance benefit.

The usual limiting factor is bandwidth. With a 1gbs nic, minus 20% overhead, you should expect about 800kbs 800mbs throughput, which is enough for 500 concurrent clients using 800-1240kbs. But you should test. Wowza has a load test tool that you can get by writing to test@wowza.com. There is a document to sign and return.

Richard
    Last edited by rrlanham; 07-10-2012 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rrlanham View Post
    A dual quad with 8g ram is good. A newer CPU would be better.
    I know it would :-) That is why I was asking...

The disks should be RAID 0 or RAID 1+0 to get a performance benefit.
    For me security (in means of data avalibility) is much more important since the SSD has roughtly 500 MB/s read speed and as you say the limiting factor is ISP wich is only 1Gbit :-) And correct me if I am thinking wrong, but between 1Gbit/s vs. 500MB/s there is a really big gap to spare. Is it not.

The usual limiting factor is bandwidth. With a 1gbs nic, minus 20% overhead, you should expect about 800kbs throughput, which is enough for 500 concurrent clients using 800-1240kbs. But you should test. Wowza has a load test tool that you can get by writing to test@wowza.com. There is a document to sign and return.
    Yeah I came to the same number in my calculations :-)

Thank you,

Filip

Hi
    Yeah, you only get the approximately 80% of the chosen speed so a 1GigE connection will give you about 800MB/s.
    As Richard says it would be wise to test the bandwidth before deployment.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by JasonH View Post
    Hi
    Yeah, you only get the approximately 80% of the chosen speed so a 1GigE connection will give you about 800MB/s.
    As Richard says it would be wise to test the bandwidth before deployment.

Jason
    One of us very misstaken in his countings. Please correct me if I am wong:

8b (bits) = 1B (Byte)
    1 Gbit/s = 1073741824 b/s = 1024 Mbit/s = 128 MB/s - 20% overhead = 102,4 MB/s = lets say 100MB/s.
    100MB/s = 800Mbit/s = 0,8 Gbit/s

Now the ISP is limiting me to 100MB/s and my SSD will be capable of 500MB/s so there is 400MB/s gap. Am I missing something, or did you guys just get really confused? I believe you are answearing the same questions on-and-on and dont pay much attention to details (giant once here). Or maby I am just wrong, but I do not think so tbh.

For other Googlers, that are calculating their banbwidth some more calculations when I am writing this:
    800Mbit/s (capability of 1 Gbps ISP)=
    cca. 666 viewers at 1,2 Mbit/s video (1240 kbps)
    cca. 833 viewers at 0,96 Mbit/s video (960 kbps)
    cca. 1066 viewers at 0,75 Mbit/s video (750 kbps)

Once again correct me if I am wrong. I need to do this correctly.

I did not mean to insult or ridicul anyone, I have 0 experience in VOD Streaming, that is why I came here asking you guys. Your answears confused me so I need to get thing right to do the countings correctly. No disrespect here...
    Last edited by Seehank; 07-10-2012 at 01:32 PM.

You indicated you had 1gbs nic:
    ISP: 1Gbit
    If your actual network access is 100mbs, then you will have to re-calculate. It is not enough for your purpose. The math is pretty simple, it is all in bits. If you get 100mbs actual throughput and your live stream or video file has a bitrate of about 1mbs, you will be able to stream to 100 clients. If you have 1gbs card on the machine but the ISP is limiting your throughput at another point, that will be the limiting factor.

Richard

You indicated you had 1gbs nic:

If your actual network access is 100mbs, then you will have to re-calculate. It is not enough for your purpose. The math is pretty simple, it is all in bits. If you get 100mbs actual throughput and your live stream or video file has a bitrate of about 1mbs, you will be able to stream to 100 clients. If you have 1gbs card on the machine but the ISP is limiting your throughput at another point, that will be the limiting factor.

Richard
    The server is going to be on 1Gbit ISP and has 2x 1Gbit LAN inputs (pleeenty of capacity there).

But I am still confused, I live in the world where 1Gbit = 1024 Mbits not 100. I even used this http://www.matisse.net/bitcalc/?inpu...otation=legacy to keep me sain.

I live in the world where 1Gbit = 1024 Mbits
    Me too, except we usually talk in terms of bits-per-second. 1gbs nic has 1024mbs throughput capacity, but 20% overhead so it gets about 800mbs actual throughput.

Richard

Angry

Me too, except we usually talk in terms of bits-per-second. 1gbs nic has 1024mbs throughput capacity, but 20% overhead so it gets about 800mbs actual throughput.

Richard
    That is exactly what I wrote here #5. That sayed 800mbs = 666*1,2mbs video.

I am quoting you now:
    With a 1gbs nic, minus 20% overhead, you should expect about 800kbs throughput
    Here I sayed myself you just did not pay enought attention and wrote 800kbs when you ment 800mbs as you wrote just now.

And I am not even starting with JasonH:
    800MB/s = 6,4 Gbit/s or 6,4gbs as you say.

Than you started talking about 100mbs network access (here) at my server wich you confused with 100 MB/s (=800mbs) I was talking about (since there was no discussion about my network adapter) when talking about limits of a 1Gbit ISP. So everything I wrote was 100% correct.

Guys, please pay more attention to what you read and write here. You are getting people confused and you Richard in the name of WOWZA company (as a WOWZA support). I was planning to buy your software and DRM addon for some 2000 USD wich is not little money (not for me nor my client) and if this is the support I am going to get for the money, than you are really making me think of other solutions (and there are others)...

I do see that typo, I wrote 800kbs where I should have wrote 800mbs. Sorry about that. I'm not sure what else I can say or do. I'm pretty sure I have provided accurate information to the best of my ability. Sorry if it is not good enough for you.

Richard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast