Thread: Quick time 10.0 streaming problems on Snow Leopard

Default Quick time 10.0 streaming problems on Snow Leopard

Hi,
    when I`m streaming a mov file(h.264) from the wowza media server 3 to my quick time player 10.0 in snow leopard the quality is very bad. but when I`m streaming the mov file to my quick time player 10.1 on lion it is very good. I can`t understand this problem between 10.0 snow leopard an 10.1 lion. Please help me.
    BR

There could be some improvement or bug fix in 10.1.

You can post the complete details of your stream, codec, profile, etc. And maybe someone can offer some insight.

You can test with sample.mp4 to narrow down your encoding as the issue. Does the problem occur with sample.mp4?

I export the file from final cut pro 7.0.3
    export -> quick time convert -> options -> compression -> h.264; Keyframes Automatic, 1500kBit/s, Streaming, acc, Fast Start, 1920x1080

The sample.mp4 file works fine!

How is it bad, is it choppy, stop and start playback? Are the two machines on the same network? If so not, the 1500kbs might be too high for the one that is not playing well.

btw, for streaming to the desktop, we recommend using Flash RTMP, or Flash HTTP (sanjose) or Silverlight (smooth) players.

Also, take a look at the encoding suggestions here:
    http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....eemand-content

Richard
    Last edited by rrlanham; 07-13-2012 at 07:43 AM.

The video ist a little bit choppy, and a half is grey, some pictures lying upon each other. The Mac`s are in the same network. I have to stream the video to quick time player, on the vlc player it works fine.

I don't know how QT Player could be so different on Snow Leopard vs Lion, unless there was a network factor. The description sounds like packet loss or bitrate vs bandwidth.

Can you install Wowza on the one that is having the issue and stream locally, to eliminate network factor.

Richard

I had Wowza RTSP playback problems in Safari and QuickTime for Snow Leopard too when using the Apple H.264 codec:
    http://www.wowza.com/forums/showthre...yback-problems

I find it interesting that you say Lion clears it up -- I will have to try that again when I get a chance.

I would recommend not using the Apple H.264 codec wherever possible. In your case, you could re-encode using ffmpeg pretty easily. You could use the commands at the link Richard provided, or you could just grab the binary here and try your own commands:
    http://ffmpegmac.net/

Something like the following should work:
    ffmpeg -i /path/to/inputfile.mov -vcodec libx264 -b:v 1500k -acodec aac -strict experimental -ar 44100 -ab 128k /path/to/outputfile.mp4