Thread: Reliably track time spent viewing an HLS stream

Default Reliably track time spent viewing an HLS stream

Hi,

I need to track the time in seconds that an HLS client spends viewing a live stream. What events should I be using, and what is the most reliable way to calculate the time in seconds?

Thanks,
    Dan

Anyone? Maybe this should have been posted in the help thread...

Daniel,

Take a look at this article:

http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....nce-statistics

Richard

Note that Wowza has no way to know how long a user watched the chunks that were cached by the device.

And the easier method is use log files, though they are not more accurate. Sawmill has a Wowza module.

Richard
    Last edited by rrlanham; 07-23-2012 at 07:15 AM.

Thanks Richard!

The onHTTPSessionDestroy way is easier for me. I'm fine with tracking the amount of data sent to the client (in seconds), which it looks like I can do with the outbytes and outrate. I looked at the IOPerformanceCounter class and printed out all the stats before I posted this question, but I had a hard time determining how I could use them.

How is the outrate measured? Is it an average of the bitrate of all off the chunks sent in this session?

It looks like I can simply do this calculation in onHTTPSessionDestroy and be able to track the number of seconds of video sent to the client:

Long outbytes = perf.getMessagesOutBytes();
    getLogger().info("Outbytes: " + outbytes);

Double outrate = perf.getMessagesOutBytesRate();
    getLogger().info("OutRate: " + outrate);

Double seconds = outbytes / outrate;
    getLogger().info("Seconds: " + seconds);

Thanks,
    Dan

Dan,

The *BytesRate statistic is a rolling 5 second average, from what I understand.

Richard

Hi Richard,

I tried to characterize this behaviour. The results seem deterministic, but the calculated seconds were always about 60 seconds longer than the duration I watched the live stream. Is there an easy explanation for this? The 60 second delta seemed consistent for all tests. I tested viewing a live stream over HLS for the following durations: 20 minutes, 15m, 10m, 5m, 4m, 3m, 2m, 1m, 30seconds, 20s, 15s, 10s, 5s, 1s.

Thanks,
    Dan

Probably HTTPSessionDestroy does not get fired until 60 seconds after the player disconnects. Run Wowza from the command line to see what's happening in real-time during your tests.

That is expected. Wowza doesn't know how much of the cache you played, just what it sent. I don't think this delta is a set amount of time, would have to test that, but I think it is more to do with the chunk size and number of chunks in device cache.

The log files have the same problem, btw.

Richard