Thread: Possible to access S3 bucket marked requester pays?

Default Possible to access S3 bucket marked requester pays?

I have a lot of vod content that i want to make available to a company that uses wowza on ec2 for streaming. Im wondering if the default s3 access in the new ami's can access S3 buckets that are marked as requester pays. It requires a special header be made on the request. I was looking at the s3fs options and they make no mention of it. Is this something that others have done in the past. I am already paying the storage costs for the video, doesnt seem i should have to pay the transfer to the streaming company.

Ok so upon further researching you guys use the mediacache and http to access the s3 bucket. Is it possible to get a special build that can add a new property that we could send the requester pays header to s3?

I don't see a way to do that, but I will ask around and see if I am missing anything

Richard

I see that the mediacache uses the url to fetch the content. It would just need to have x-amz-request-payer: requester added to the http request header.

I checked further, confirming that it is not possible at present.

Richard

If you can not add the header to the mediacache, is it possible to get the source so that we could add it ourselves? Or would it be possible to override the class to add the header ourselves?

There is not a way as far as I know at present.

Richard

That's a shame, as i can't imagine it would take one of your developers more than 10 minutes to do. I could see that a lot of people could potentially want this feature if they knew it existed. It could give rise to content providers more willing to share their content knowing they didnt have to incur the transfer charges.

We discussed it, and it might be something that gets added, but I am not if it will or what time frame it would be.

Richard