Wowza Community

Live stream RTMP server failover with JW Player

I don’t know if this has been covered here before, but I feel like I’ve scoured this forum and the internet for long enough and I’m at the point where I really just need a solution so I can move on. I know I can’t possibly be the only person out there that needs this functionality. Anyway…

We want to have the ability to have our player (currently JW, but open to any solution that works) to be able to rollover to another rtmp server address if the primary one should become unavailable. To be clear, I’m specifically only talking about live streams. We currently have this functionality with our non-Wowza CDN (and their supplied custom player) and it’s really one of the few things left to sort out before we transition all of our live productions to our Wowza/EC2 based setup.

Additionally, we always make use of adaptive streaming in our live events and would ideally need that to be able to continue to happen.

Anybody have any experience with this? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I’d love to stop banging my head against my desk soon. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

~Jeremy

Have you looked into hiring a professional to build you a custom player with the functionality you require?

You can configure a backup origin in a LiveRepeater Origin-Edge configuration. See the LiveRepeater Quickstart.

Otherwise on an individual stream basis, you could pretty easily add some code on the player side, or possibly use a server-side module. See the Streamclass Controller for one example of switching to another stream on the fly using playlists.

Have you looked into hiring a professional to build you a custom player with the functionality you require?

Not yet. I don’t have an issue with attempting to code this myself. I’m just not wanting to reinvent the wheel here if someone has already done something similar and it’s not terribly complicated.