Thread: Shared object slot number discrepancy

Default Shared object slot number discrepancy

Hey guys!

Here's our issue, lemme try to explain as clearly as possible... here goes...

User A is connected to the shared object, the client reports that 30 slots exist.
    User B is connected to the same shared object, the client reports that 27 slots exist.
    User C is connected to the same shared object, client reports 28 slots.

These numbers are arbitrary, but the issue is that sometimes we see less than the number of actual slots when connecting. Sometimes a reconnect will solve it.

We can confirm on the server that 30 slots exist, and is indeed the correct number of slots on the SO. We have a 1/1 connection for each client to SO slot, and we see the correct number of connections/slots using the serverinfo HTTPProvider.

Ever seen anything like this before?

Hi
    It sounds like you're not locking the object correctly.
    You can find a tutorial on tracking users with a SO here,
    http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....a-SharedObject

Jason

Hey Jason,

Thanks for the help! Whenever we instantiate the SO, and add slots to it we're ensuring that we're locking as needed. Anything else you think this could be?

Hey Guys,

Can anybody help me on this? It's really starting to hurt our UX. We're locking, unlocking and synchronizing as needed. I'm adding the slots on the SO in onConnect instead of onConnectAccept. Do you think that would cause this issue?

Benny,

If you need more precision take a look at NetStream.send, NetConnection.call on the RTMP client-side, and IMediaStream.send, IMediaStream.sendDirect, IClient.call, and IApplicationInstance.broadcastMsg. The ServerSideModules example that ships with Wowza is good working reference.

Richard

Hey Richard,

Much appreesh on the followup! We're using the other methods you listed elsewhere, but require slots on the SO for avatar rendering and storing info about each user for display, etc.

I'm thinking more and more than something could be corrupting the shared object. But currently I have no way of knowing what is because only "valid" slots are returned in my remote SO browser (for debugging).

I'll keep you guys posted, but I sincerely appreciate your guys help as always.

Thanks!

Hey guys, just wanted to follow up on this and let you know it seems to be resolved. In case anyone had a similar issue, the trouble was that we were sending complex nested data in the onConnect method in our app module. Once we trimmed out object down a bit, everything is working like a charm and we haven't seen this problem since. Confirmed fixed!

Great! Thanks for the update.

Richard