Thread: Advanced monitoring and resetting streams

Default Advanced monitoring and resetting streams

I have been getting some cameras terminating their connections so found the module above in order to reset a failing stream.

My first question relating to the settings is it states 'Those settings are quite conservative. '. What should be taken into account to work out an accurate figure or a good general guideline?

the ip cameras are only streaming video therefore I set the audio options to false in the monitoring firstly.

I then set the following for video :

<Property>
    <Name>streamMonitorStreamStartTimeout</Name>
    <Value>20000</Value>
    <Type>Integer</Type>
    </Property>
    <Property>
    <Name>streamMonitorStreamTimeout</Name>
    <Value>12000</Value>
    <Type>Integer</Type>
    </Property>
    <Property>
    <Name>streamMonitorVideoStartTimeout</Name>
    <Value>20000</Value>
    <Type>Integer</Type>
    </Property>
    <Property>
    <Name>streamMonitorVideoTimeout</Name>
    <Value>12000</Value>
    <Type>Integer</Type>
    </Property>

Property>
    <Name>streamMonitorVideoTCToleranceEnable</Name>
    <Value>true</Value>
    <Type>Boolean</Type>
    </Property>
    <Property>
    <Name>streamMonitorVideoTCPosTolerance</Name>
    <Value>3000</Value>
    <Type>Integer</Type>
    </Property>
    <Property>
    <Name>streamMonitorVideoTCNegTolerance</Name>
    <Value>-3000</Value>
    <Type>Integer</Type>
    </Property>

<Property>
    <Name>streamMonitorDataTCToleranceEnable</Name>
    <Value>true</Value>
    <Type>Boolean</Type>
    </Property>
    <Property>
    <Name>streamMonitorDataTCPosTolerance</Name>
    <Value>3000</Value>
    <Type>Integer</Type>
    </Property>
    <Property>
    <Name>streamMonitorDataTCNegTolerance</Name>
    <Value>-3000</Value>
    <Type>Integer</Type>
    </Property>

I left the AVSync settings on false as i have no audio so not interested.

And I have turned on the debug level :

<Property>
    <Name>streamMonitorDebug</Name>
    <Value>true</Value>
    <Type>Boolean</Type>
    </Property>

An example of a log entry is below :

2012-08-08 19:58:46 GET comment server INFO 200 - MediaStreamMonitor.monitor[live/_definst_/camera-GHR_S.stream]: inc:542 range:27196-27201:27201 state:0 t/a/v/d:6/0/6/0 aTol:0:false:0 vTol:0:true:0 dTol:0:true:0 sTol:0:false - - - 2306.023 - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --

is there any definition to what it shows? Where it says
    inc:542 << What is this referring to?
    range:27196-27201:27201 << I guess this is something to do with the +-3000 range I put in there but it doesnt add up
    state:0 t/a/v/d:6/0/6/0 << a,v,d are audio, video and data.. what is the t? total? the 6 is saying what? 6 errors or 6... something?

Some help would be appreciated

Thanks

My setup is 1 application with multiple streams (different ip cameras).

It would be good to know what the debug messages from the post above mean, but I have another question as well....

It would appear that not all streams within the application are being monitored. I dont want to put the streams into a stream group as each camera is seperate therefore I would only want the monitor to reset 1 stream if it needed.

I have no errors in the logs that I can see, it just seems to be ignoring some streams.

The config is as I stated in the above post but if you need any more information then please let me know.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Hi
    The comment : t/a/v/d:6/0/6/0 means Total Audio Video Data (Data = Data Packets)
    Total = 6
    Audio = 0
    Video = 6
    Data = 0

I'll make a note of the tutorial having <Value>0</Value> for some of the values and change them when I get the correct figures.
    I'm not sure what they should be without testing for myself but I'll get back to you as soon as I know anything new about what the values should be.

Jason

ok thanks jason but I would have thought there would be much more packets on any camera than 6. Or is that failures it has spotted?

Can you shed any light why the monitor seems to be ignoring 5 or 6 of my streams which are all in the 'live' application? Or what I need to look for to identify the cause? My understanding from another post is if a stream goes down the monitor will keep trying to restart it which im not seeing even with debug set on

any ideas on this or how to find out why?

The MediaCaster system will keep trying to restart MediaCaster streams indefinitely with or without the advanced monitor in place, and there should be plenty of obvious logging associated with that, which is visible with INFO level logging.

Richard

marking this as closed even though it would be good to know what the debug messages are actually saying

what purpose this has for resetting streams that are not available as part of the standard wowza resetting of mediacaster streams. is this more for synchronisation between sound and video and monitoring rather than a core reset of a failed connection between wowza and a rtsp (ip camera) stream

Yes, the MediaCaster advanced monitor resets "unhealthy" streams. The MediaCaster system tries to reconnect to failed streams separately.

Richard