Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Live repeater with intermediary servers

1. Default Live repeater with intermediary servers

I'm working on planning out a fairly large network, and based on the number of streams I'll need to ingest, a typical origin/edge network isn't going to do the job... the origins will end up being overloaded serving the edges.

Is Wowza capable of using intermediaries between origin and edge when using live repeater for HLS? I'd like to set up the origins as liverepeater-origin, repeat to the intermediaries, and let the intermediaries repeat to the edges.

Thanks!

You can super-scale using StreamType "liverepeater-edge-origin".

Encoder > 1 liverepeater-origin server> Several liverepeater-edge-origin servers > Many liverepeater-edge servers

For HLS, you can packetize on the origin, edge-origin or edge. It just depends on where you put the regular LiveStreamPacketizers "cupertinostreamingpacketizer".

If you packetize on the origin use LiveStreamPacketizers "cupertinostreamingpacketizer" on the origin, and use "cupertinorepeaterpacketizer" on the edge-origin and edge.

If you packetize on the edge-origin, then leave LiveStreamPacketizers empty on the origin, "cupertinostreamingpacketizer" on the edge-origin, and "cupertinorepeaterpacketizer" on each edge.

If you packetize on each edge, then leave LiveStreamPacketizers empty on the origin and edge-origin, and make the edge LiveStreamPacketizers "cupertinostreamingpacketizer"

Richard

3. Default

Right on! Thanks Richard.

Cool, welcome.

R

What does technically and practically mean "HLS packetize on origin/edge" ? And also does this need some CPU power?

HLS packetizing does incur some overhead. You can monitor server, compare with and without.

Richard

Hi,

What are the differences between Packetize on Origin, Edge-origin and Edge.

Thanks
    Nani

Nani,

There is one connection between an edge and an origin for each stream type that is used on the edge. If you have rtmp, rtsp, cupertino, sanjose, smooth, nDVR and mpeg-dash clients playing back from the edge, there would be one connection for each of those from the edge to the origin. This might be a problem if there are many edge servers and you are overloading the origin; or it might be a problem if there is great distance (intercontinental) between the edge and origin. In those cases, you might make the origin Application.xml /Streams /LiveStreamingPacketizers setting empty, and change the edge's from the repeater packetizers to the regular packetizers.

Richard

Hi,

actually i packetize on the edge-origin, and leave LiveStreamPacketizers empty on the origin, "cupertinostreamingpacketizer" on the edge-origin, and "cupertinorepeaterpacketizer" on each edge.

Its working fine in flash player, But not working on ios devices, Please help.

Thanks
    Nani

If LiveStreamPacketizers is empty on the origin, and "cupertinostreamingpacketizer" on the edge-origin, then it should be "cupertinostreamingrepeater" on the edge

I.e., only packetize once.

Richard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast