Thread: Transcoding on Edge or Origin? Does it Matter?

Default Transcoding on Edge or Origin? Does it Matter?

Hopefully this hasn't been asked ad nauseam, but I did some preliminary searches and couldn't find a direct answer to the question, so...

I'm basically brand new to the concept of video streaming and so I obviously was chosen to spearhead to find a replacement for our existing system. Wowza has been incredible so far and I've managed to muddle my way through it all to get it set up and mostly operational going from an Axis encoder to mobile devices using an Origin-Edge server.

My question is am I doing something inherently wrong by using the transcoder at the Edge server instead of Origin? I haven't seen anything to suggest one way or another (tho I may have missed it) but it seems that when it's mentioned, people are using transcoder at the Origin.

Thanks for any input on this.

You can do it very easily and there are good business and technical cases for doing it, but for a typical setup (live encoder > origin/transcoder > many edge servers) it is not cost effective because you would have to maintain Transcoder license on each edge.

Richard

Thanks, Richard, that makes perfect sense. So with just one Edge server, it actually makes sense to do it the way I'm doing it, but if I ever plan on adding additional servers, I'd need to consider the cost of transcoder for each one of them.

It also makes sense to pair origin with transcoder because transcoding uses a lot of cpu and memory. The edge is what all clients are connecting to, presumably, so you are separating two big tasks with transcoder on the origin.

Richard