Wowza Community

H.264/Speex To iOS Encoding Problem - No Audio

I’m trying to stream H.264/Speex from Flash via FMS to H.264/AAC for iOS using the nicely done HowTo: https://www.wowza.com/docs/how-to-convert-flash-player-11-output-from-h-264-speex-audio-to-h-264-aac-audio-using-wowza-transcoder It seems pretty straightforward.

When I DON’T do anything to transcode the audio from Speex to AAC, I’ll get messages in the logs that look like this - makes sense.

comment server INFO 200 LiveStreamPacketizerCupertino.handlePacket[myapp/myinstance/streamname]: Video codec:H264 isCompatible:true

comment server INFO 200 LiveStreamPacketizerCupertino.handlePacket[myapp/myinstance/streamname]: Audio codec:SPEEX isCompatible:false

comment server WARN 200 CupertinoPacketHandler.handleHolder[myapp/myinstance/streamname]: Invalid video/audio codec combination for iPhone/iPod: video:H264 audio:SPEEX

comment server WARN 200 CupertinoPacketHandler.handleHolder[myapp/myinstance/streamname]: Invalid audio codec for iPhone/iPod:SPEEX

I then follow the instructions (pointing to a custom transcoder template, or just changing transrate.xml) with:

In the logs I only get something like this:

comment server INFO 200 LiveStreamPacketizerCupertino.handlePacket[myapp/myinstance/streamname]: Video codec:H264 isCompatible:true

The video part of the stream plays fine, but there is no audio and there is no reference to SPEEX, or any audio codec in the logs. The warnings disappear, but there is nothing showing it is working either.

Does anyone know what might be wrong or could post a snippet of their logs files to show what messages you see relating to the audio codec when you successfully transcode SPEEX to AAC for iOS?

Thanks!

There should be a template named audioonly.xml in the Wowza /transcoder/templates folder. Use that template as a starting place. The name is a little misleading, it just means that it only transcodes the audio, not the video. The video is set to PassThru. That is the Transcoder template that is used in that article. Start with that, test it as-is before making changes.

Richard