Thread: Overlapping playback: Users accessing same video experience overlapping playback VOD

Arrow Overlapping playback: Users accessing same video experience overlapping playback VOD

Hello! Hopefully someone can help me out - I am new to this, but feel that I'm catching on quick.

Just got 2 videos with VOD Adaptive Bitrate Streaming working successfully on my Wowza Media Server 3 trial edition running on an Amazon EC2 instance. These videos are working beautifully in Microsoft Silverlight and iOS devices when run via the links in the sample Silverlight player and the Safari mobile browser, respectively.

I streamed the videos into an iOS application to test on multiple iOS devices at once. (The iOS app is quite simple - just takes the link from the server and plays the video on the device.) Unfortunately, I ran into trouble.

When iOS device #1 accesses a video, it begins playing as it should. Then, while iOS device #1 is still watching that video, I load the same video on iOS device #2, and the video begins playing there as it should, but at the same time iOS device #1 experiences another instance of the same video begin to play while the first one is still playing on the device. Result is very confused multiple playing of same video overlapping itself. Make sense?
    This is such strange behavior! I have no idea what could cause it, and, as I said I am quite new to this, but am learning fast. Is there something simple that I set improperly? To me, this seems like an impossible problem - how could iOS device #1 even know what iOS device #2 is doing? Obviously, the server is getting confused or something, right?

Thank you very much for any help or guesses offered in advance!

Warmly,
    Amy

Amy,

It sounds like a live stream not vod. How have you configured your application? Are you using something like this?

http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....-class-streams

The above can use a file as a source but it is streamed live (like tv re-run), each client should see about the same at the same time.

Richard

Hi Richard! Thanks for your response. I didn't set it up with a streamschedule actually, it really is VOD. I used this tutorial to set it up, the part under Adaptive Bitrate in particular: http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....on-demand-file
    I created two .smil files, one for each video, and then I uploaded the .smil files to the server and uploaded multiple files of each video encoded at different bitrates to the server. These files are all stored in the server's content folder under home>wowza>content.
    The link I'm using to access the videos is http://[my wowza ip address]:1935/vod/smil:videoswitch.smil/playlist.m3u8

If Application.xml is "default" or "file" and you are playing static content, video and .smil files in the content folder, each playback should start at the beginning. Can you double check everything, restart everything, and test again.

If not figured out, zip up conf and logs folders and send to support@wowza.com. The access log should show testing and the conf folder should be complete and show the state of configuration during most recent tests.

Include a link to this thread for reference

Richard