Thread: Hardware sizing rule-of-thumb

Question Hardware sizing rule-of-thumb

We are attempting to setup a live streaming site, which will take about 30 incoming RTSP/RTP streams (at about 1mbit/sec each), and transcode them down to something no more than about 250 kbits/sec (360x240 or 280/160). So about 15 mbits/sec outbound.

We want to service about 20,000 users, but we'll be doing all this over HLS so we should be able to scale up that bit at the HTTP proxy. What I'm more interested in is how to size the server for the transcoding: rough rules-of-thumb in terms of number of CPU cores, and how is that affected if we get a CUDA compliant graphics card?

It'll be a Win 2008 R2 x64 OS.

We'll load test, but I need to get an approximate baseline to start from.

Last edited by piers7; 08-16-2012 at 10:36 PM. Reason: add OS specification

Very helpful thanks.
    Should I read anything into the lack of testing under Server 2008 R2? Is Win 7 preferred?
    For a 24 core setup do I need another CUDA card, or is one OK? And till when? Or has the GPU card just got way more capacity than I'm likely to use?

Hi piers7,

Some thoughts:
    1. I don't think a Squid Proxy is going to work for live streaming. I'm not aware if it being used in this context. HTTP proxy is for caching static files that map to URLs, generally from NET -> LAN.
    2. You'll want to use CUDA or Quicksync hardware.
    3. Many new users focus on hardware in the beginning of their projects. But, really the implementation of your service is what is important. Faster hardware can always be dropped in at a later date. I wouldn't even think about the hardware if I were you, until the service was ready for production.
    4. Public facing sites with unknown bandwidth requirements should be developed on AWS EC2. This is the most cost effective solution in the beginning.