Wowza Community

How many users watching live stream?

Ok so if I get wowza media server on my PC how many people could watch a live stream from me at the same time smoothly?

My internet connection is around 50mb down and 10mb up.

The video would be streamed at about 1000kbs.

Thanks.

The uplink is the bottleneck. The formula is throughput / bitrate: 10mbs / 1mbs = 10. But I would say 8 or 9, maybe 10.

Richard

A 1gbs nic is a good starting place for a streaming server. With a late model quad or dual quad cput, 4 - 8g ram, 64bit OS and 64bit Java, you can get about 800 1kbs streams with 1gbs nic

Richard

I meant 1mbs stream, i.e. 1000kbs

If you have a 10mbs bottleneck, that will be the limiting factor. You will get 10 1mbs streams at the most.

Richard

Right, if the machine Wowza is installed on has a 10mbs connection to internet, all your clients will be streaming through that point, which will only allow 10 1mbs streams at most.

Richard

Thanks for the reply mate.

So it’s not great on the local machine.

What would I have to do to get… lets say 100 people watching the stream?

A 1gbs nic is a good starting place for a streaming server. With a late model quad or dual quad cput, 4 - 8g ram, 64bit OS and 64bit Java, you can get about 800 1kbs streams with 1gbs nic

Richard

Thanks for the information Richard!

Wouldnt a 1kbs stream be very bad quality?

Thanks again.

Sorry to be asking all these questions but I’m very new to this.

So it’s all to do with my Internet connection. I cannot improve the number from 10 unless my upload speed is improved.

Correct?

Thanks again!