Wowza Community

Doubts on how wowza works

Hi guys!

I need an streaming server but I’m not sure that wowza can fill what I’m needing. Can someone ask me this questions, because I’ve been researching about this but I can’t find an answer…

Can I have multiple streams of different live videos being streamed and recorded? For example, I’m going to have n different sources of live video and I need those n sources to be streamed and recorded to the server. Is this possible? Where can I found a place to read on how to make this work?

Does wowza have an API to retrieve amount of users watching a stream? Or a way to list all the live streaming that are taking place in this moment?

Thanks in advance!!

"For example, I’m going to have n different sources of live video and I need those n sources to be streamed and recorded to the server. Is this possible? "

Yes. Simply change StreamType to “live-record” in your Application.xml.

“Does wowza have an API to retrieve amount of users watching a stream? Or a way to list all the live streaming that are taking place in this moment?”

Yes, there are code examples of some of the build-in HTTPProvders mentioned in the User Guide. You can use such examples as a starting point for coding your custom solution.

A good place to start when you’re new is the Quick Start Guide.

Hi

Wowza can record multiple incoming live streams from your source(s) all under the same application.

The streams within an application are just known as streams not instances.

An application called “live” could have many incoming streams (Wowza doesn’t limit the number of streams to an application).

In this example :

rtsp://mycompany.com:1935/live/test

test is the name of the stream and you could have as many as want (that your hardware can take).

Jason

"For example, I’m going to have n different sources of live video and I need those n sources to be streamed and recorded to the server. Is this possible? "

Yes. Simply change StreamType to “live-record” in your Application.xml.

“Does wowza have an API to retrieve amount of users watching a stream? Or a way to list all the live streaming that are taking place in this moment?”

Yes, there are code examples of some of the build-in HTTPProvders mentioned in the User Guide. You can use such examples as a starting point for coding your custom solution.

A good place to start when you’re new is the Quick Start Guide.

Thanks for your answer randall… I’ve been reading quite a lot but I’m still with some doubts, can you just tell me if I’m right with my thoughts till now?

Once I have an application configured, for example “Test”. I can have lots of different streams under that “Test” application right? Each of these streams is called instance right? The way to start a new instance is just start the streaming in a new not used instance?

For example if I start a stream in rtsp://mycompany.com:1935/live/test test is te name of that instance.

If I want a new instance I just start a new stream in rtsp://mycompany.com:1935/live/test2?

Am I right with all this?

Thanks!

Hi

Wowza can record multiple incoming live streams from your source(s) all under the same application.

The streams within an application are just known as streams not instances.

An application called “live” could have many incoming streams (Wowza doesn’t limit the number of streams to an application).

In this example :

rtsp://mycompany.com:1935/live/test

test is the name of the stream and you could have as many as want (that your hardware can take).

Jason

thanks for your answers!