Thread: SDP file missing when using stream name groups

Default SDP file missing when using stream name groups

I am publishing an RTP stream with an SDP file in the content folder. The sdp file is named like streamname.sdp

When I setup transcoding with stream name groups, I am sending the player to a URL including something like "streamname.sdp_480p"
    It seems to work just fine, but I keep getting constant warnings in the logs, such as:

WARN server comment 2012-09-04 16:10:14 - - - - - 1088.089 - - - - - - - - RTPSessionDescriptionDataProviderBasic.getStreamInfo: SDP file missing: /usr/local/WowzaMediaServer/content/streamname.sdp_480p

Why is it looking for this file? Does something need fixing or can I do something to stop these warnings?

Thanks.

This message indicates that it cannot find the file streamname.sdp_480p. Are you also recording the transcoded file for vod playback? Files in the /content folder are the typical location for vod files.

-Lisa

I am not recording the transcoded file. I am only recording the original stream "streamname.sdp" using the LiveStreamRecorder module.

I have one sdp file "streamname.sdp" in the content folder. I am using that to stream a live event using RTP. This is setup to transcode to "streamname.sdp_480p" etc. There is a stream name group defined "streamname.sdp_all" which I am directing clients to. When a client connects to "streamname.sdp_all" the stream plays fine and adaptive bitrate works, but I get all these warnings in the log.

As I understand it, when the client requests "streamname.sdp_all" the transcoder gives a playlist with the "streamname.sdp_original", "streamname.sdp_480p", etc. The client then adaptively selects one of these. If it selects "streamname.sdp_480p" then it requests that from wowza. The transcoder sees that, and transcodes a stream from the original "streamname.sdp". So, as I understand it, I should only have the one file "streamname.sdp" that represents the incoming stream.

Why then does the transcoder serve the request for "streamname.sdp_480p" but log warnings as if it were looking for a file with that name?

I think you have StreamType set to "rtp-live". Change it to "live". I assume you are starting the source stream in StreamManager or StartUpStreams.xml

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rrlanham View Post
    I think you have StreamType set to "rtp-live". Change it to "live". I assume you are starting the source stream in StreamManager or StartUpStreams.xml

Richard
    I do have it set to rtp-live because I am streaming from an rtp source, and I kick off the stream through a script that interacts with the streammanager jmx interface.
    If I change this to "live" am I losing any of the RTP functionality, like my jitter buffer, etc.?

Also, occasionally, I have seen a stream fail after starting it up. When this happens with rtp-live, the recording stops early, but the viewers keep getting the live stream. Will this happen with "live" or will I have to detect and restart the stream?

Again, use StreamType "live" but start the stream in StreamManager with MediaCaster type "rtp", you don't lose anything.

Richard

ok. thanks!