Thread: Edge to Origin network connections in nDVR play back

Default Edge to Origin network connections in nDVR play back

Hi,

I am testing nDVR functionality in a Edge/Origin Configuration. I have four clients connected to the edge server, 2 HLS and 2 SmoothStreaming. If my clients are viewing a Live feed I see two network connections that persist between the edge and origin server. This would make sense, I assume one for each protocol. When I switch to DVR playback I see anywhere from 3 to 15 network connections between the edge and origin. I expected I would see 4, one for each client to account for each client possibly scrubbing to different parts of the feed. As it is if I don't scrub at all I still see the number of connections between edge/origin changing almost every few seconds between 3 and 15 established connections. I was wondering if this behavior has been noticed by anyone else?

Thanks,
    erik

erik,

This is normal. nDVR origin edge works differently. There will be one connection between origin and edge for repeating the manifest info, regardless of number of different protocols used, then there will be a connection made to grab the chunks from origin as needed. This connection will come and go. When the chunks are delivered the connection goes away.

If MediaCache is used on the edge, as is recommended, less connections will need to be made to origin over time because the chunks will be found on disk.

Richard