Thread: nDVR playback issues when using Strobe Media Player

Default nDVR playback issues when using Strobe Media Player

Hi there .... I'm having some issues with streaming nDVR content using Strobe Media Player
    I'm testing the same stream (live and ndvr) on IPAD using HLS, and PC using SmothStreaming and Strobe Media player provided on Wowza Distribution

Live stream (the one I'm recording) plays perfectly on three format using the player mentioned

nDVR plays perfectly IPAD and SmoothStreaming .... it has issues when playing using Strobe Media Player. The main issues are

a) Audio and video getting out of sync, which cause video to freeze until it syncs with audio again (recording seems to be great as it's not happening on HLS and Smooth, and it doesn't happen always on the same segment of the video)
    b) if I FFWD using the progress bar, it usually video doesn't play any more.

Any settings I can set to improve performance using HDS?

Thanks

For a) and b) does this occur when you are playing back both live with nDVR and the recorded DVR store as vod once the live event is over?

Does this occur with all streams or one stream in particular? Also is this a single bitrate stream or a adaptive bitrate scenario? If the adaptive bitrate, does it occur when you play back the individual streams and what encoder and settings are you using?

In the logs, do you see messages about missing chunks or timecode out of order? Is there any pattern to when the problem occurs? Does it start after a certain period of time?

Lastly, what version of Wowza Server are you using? If this problem occurs when playing back a previously recorded store after the live event is over, please send a short sample recording, along with a zip of [install-dir]/conf and logs directories and details about your setup to support@wowza.com. Please reference this thread.

-Lisa

it doesn't happen when I play live (but I don't play it with nDVR function). It happens only when playing DVR store. It happens during the event recording or afterwards. My DVR stores are around 12 hours ever time

I don't see errors of missing chunks of timecode out of order. As I said, I don't see these issues when playing same content as HLS or Smooth .. only when HDS
    There's no pattern ...

I'm using 3.1.2, on EC2 instances. I'll try to grab all the logs and info you requested
    Even though, I think it could be something related to player optimization or something, not nDVR itself
    I'm not familiar with HDS streaming in particular. I know how to debug HLS and smooth, as they are more straight forward

thanks

If you can capture logs from this HDS problem, we'd be happy to look into it further. If you are trying to play back all 12 hours, that is a very large playlist file which can be problematic for the player to load into memory. Please reference this thread.

-Lisa

A little info for anyone else who's experiencing problems with Strobe loosing sync when playing nDVR.

I was banging my head bloody trying to fix this problem and found that the answer was to tweak Strobe player settings with the help of this page: http://www.wowza.com/forums/content.php?392#recOSMF.

Quote Originally Posted by addmeister View Post
    A little info for anyone else who's experiencing problems with Strobe loosing sync when playing nDVR.

I was banging my head bloody trying to fix this problem and found that the answer was to tweak Strobe player settings with the help of this page: http://www.wowza.com/forums/content.php?392#recOSMF.
    Curious what version of Strobe player you are using. I found it necessary to tweak some of the buffer settings when using strobe 1.5 and 1.6, but found much less buffering/stuttering with strobe 2.0. So had no need to use those settings.

Wondering what you experience is and what version you are using.

Scott

I started testing with the player I found at http://v.streampunk.tv/hccdvr/ and had sync-related problems. This depended largely on the current bandwidth capacity, which fluctuated during the day.

After installing and tweaking v. 1.6.328 the syncing was reduced to acceptable levels.