Wowza Community

Concurrent connections

Hi everyone!

Im going to setup a VOD system using wowza to stream video with a bit rate of 1,5 Mbits/sec, 2gb bandwidth.

I have 2 servers x3650 M2.

CPU: Quad-Core Intel® Xeon® Processor E5504 - 2 GHz

and E5520 2.26GHz

Ram: 2Gb

Network: 1Gb Ethernet.

Please tell me the maximum concurrent connections for each server!

thanks!

Hi

You should really have 4Gb RAM as this is the minimum spec suggested by Wowza.

Bandwidth is always a limiting factor, you’ll only get about 1.6Gb bandwidth as there is a 20% overhead giving you about 1066 connections at your max.

1600Mb / 1.5Mb = 1066 connections

1066 / 2 = 533 connections per server.

Jason

Hello praveen,

The information I have available is in the benchmarks listed in the FAQ under “Have you conducted and performance tests?”.

Usually the limiting factor will be Network Bandwidth. Java also has a data throughput limit of 5Gbps.

You can test real-world performance using the Wowza Load Testing tool.

Hi

That’s correct, having a quad-core CPU should be enough for what you’ve mentioned so far.

Jason

Hi,

Looking at the link you provided it says:

Assume that Wowza can only serve only 5 Gbps,

Some of our customers have been able to get up to 10Gbps of streaming performance for both live and on-demand on multi-threaded, multi-CPU machines that were finely tuned at the kernel level. On standard servers with dual quad-core processors and multiple NICs, up to 5Gbps of streaming performance can be achieved if the server is properly tuned. Tuning guidance is available in our Performance Tuning Guide.

Going off the stream bitrate (600 Kbps) and the concurrent connections at peak time (50,000 users), you will need around 8 servers at this specification.

600 Kbps x 50,000 users = 30 Gbps which is impossible with one server limited a maximum of 5 Gbps.

Realistically you’re looking at 6,650 connections per server assuming a 5 Gbps connection is available, giving a 20% overhead.

600 Kbps x 6,650 = 3.99 Gbps

50,000 /6,650 = 7.51

50,000 = Total users, 6,650 = Connections per server and 7.51 = Servers needed.

Jason

Hi

we have setup wowza server for live streaming, below are the server and streaming details. i want know how many concurrent session will support my server

Server hardware details

Dell PowerEdge R710

Dual CPU with 16 cores

12GB RAM

and we have configured

70kbps - 110 channels

180kbps - 110 channels

and 500kbps - 50 channels

Below is setenv.sh script

#!/bin/sh

_EXECJAVA=java

JAVA_OPTS="-Xmx6000M"

Uncomment to run server environment (faster), Note: will only work if server VM install, comes with JDL

JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS -server"

Can be a better GC setting to avoid long pauses

JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalMode -XX:+UseParNewGC"

Uncomment to fix multicast crosstalk problem when streams share multicast port

JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true"

WMSAPP_HOME=/usr/local/WowzaMediaServer

WMSCONFIG_HOME=/usr/local/WowzaMediaServer

WMSCONFIG_URL=

export WMSAPP_HOME WMSCONFIG_HOME JAVA_OPTS _EXECJAVA

Thanks

Hi

Bandwidth is always a limiting factor, you’ll only get about 1.6Gb bandwidth as there is a 20% overhead giving you about 1066 connections at your max.

Jason

Thank Jason :slight_smile:

As you said, the maximum connection of a server is not depend on CPU? With 2 different server’s CPU above, i have the same CCU for each server?

Hi

That’s correct, having a quad-core CPU should be enough for what you’ve mentioned so far.

Jason

Thank Jason :slight_smile:

What about my server?

Server B:

Intel® Xeon® E3-1245 Quadcore

incl. Hyper-Threading Technology

RAM 32 GB DDR3 RAM ECCHard disks2 x 3 TB SATA 6 Gb/s HDD

7200 rpm (Software-RAID 1)

Enterprise class

Best regards, Ramil

Hi

Jason

Hi Jason,

eg: if I have unlimited bandwith in my server

is bandwith still a main issue?

we build an app… that targeted have 50,000 concurent connection with video & audio bit rate of 600kbps

the spesification of our server is:

• processor: Intel® Xeon® Processor E7-8830 (24M Cache, 2.13 GHz, 6.40 GT/s Intel® QPI)

• RAM: 64 GB

• network ethernet: 10 Gb

assume that wowza can only serve only 5Gb

how much server do we need to handle that 50k concurent connection?