Thread: Installation Problem

Default Installation Problem

Installed wowza 3.1.2 on Fedora 16. Went in fine. Set up wowza user and established permissions. SELinus is disabled. 1935 and other common wowza ports are open in firewall. Wowza starts and stops with no errors. When I try to access wowza from another box [http://ip-address:1935] I get 'Unable to connect to server'. As per the manual, I'm expecting Wowza version info. I'm trying to connect with Firefox. HTTPD is running on the wowza box and I can get the default startup page on port 80. Again, no errors ever show up in the access or error log files. Any ideas. Should be simple, but it's getting frustrating. We have a perpetual license installed.

Regards Chris

Hi
    Does Wowza start on the command line?
    In the location [Wowza-install]/bin/
    type
    ./startup.sh
    You should then see Wowza's configuration info then the last line saying "INFO server comment - Wowza Media Server is started!"

try the url
    http://Wowza-address:1935
    Jason

Affirmative, if I run ./startup.sh it works as you described. Does the normal service/systemctl not work, even though it looks like it does? Can I run ./startup.sh in the background - or is something else going on?

: ) Chris

Here are my startup.sh and wms.sh files if that helps. startup.sh works from command line, but wms.sh does not using the server WowzaMediaServer start command.

startup.sh:

#!/bin/sh
    . ./setenv.sh

#chmod 600 ../conf/jmxremote.password
    #chmod 600 ../conf/jmxremote.access

# NOTE: Here you can configure the JVM's built in JMX interface.
    # See the "Server Management Console and Monitoring" chapter
    # of the "User's Guide" for more information on how to configure the
    # remote JMX interface in the [install-dir]/conf/Server.xml file.

JMXOPTIONS=-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote=true
    #JMXOPTIONS="$JMXOPTIONS -Djava.rmi.server.hostname=192.168.1.7"
    #JMXOPTIONS="$JMXOPTIONS -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=1099"
    #JMXOPTIONS="$JMXOPTIONS -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate=true"
    #JMXOPTIONS="$JMXOPTIONS -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false"
    #JMXOPTIONS="$JMXOPTIONS -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.password.file=$WMSCONFIG_HOME/conf/jmxremote.password"
    #JMXOPTIONS="$JMXOPTIONS -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.access.file=$WMSCONFIG_HOME/conf/jmxremote.access"

ulimit -n 20000 > /dev/null 2>&1

# log interceptor com.wowza.wms.logging.LogNotify - see Javadocs for ILogNotify

sudo -u wowza $_EXECJAVA $JAVA_OPTS $JMXOPTIONS -Dcom.wowza.wms.runmode="standalone" -Dcom.wowza.wms.native.base="linux" -Dcom.wowza.wms.AppHome="$WMSAPP_HOME" -Dcom.wowza.wms.ConfigURL="$WMSCONFIG_URL" -Dcom.wowza.wms.ConfigHome="$WMSCONFIG_HOME" -cp $WMSAPP_HOME/bin/wms-bootstrap.jar com.wowza.wms.bootstrap.Bootstrap start

----
    and

wms.sh

#!/bin/sh

# NOTE: Here you can configure the JVM's built in JMX interface.
    # See the "Server Management Console and Monitoring" chapter
    # of the "User's Guide" for more information on how to configure the
    # remote JMX interface in the [install-dir]/conf/Server.xml file.

JMXOPTIONS=-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote=true
    #JMXOPTIONS="$JMXOPTIONS -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=1099"
    #JMXOPTIONS="$JMXOPTIONS -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate=true"
    #JMXOPTIONS="$JMXOPTIONS -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false"
    #JMXOPTIONS="$JMXOPTIONS -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.password.file=$WMSCONFIG_HOME/conf/jmxremote.password"
    #JMXOPTIONS="$JMXOPTIONS -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.access.file=$WMSCONFIG_HOME/conf/jmxremote.access"
    #JMXOPTIONS="$JMXOPTIONS -Djava.rmi.server.hostname=192.168.1.7"

if [ "$WMSCOMMAND" != "start" ]; then
    JMXOPTIONS=""
    fi

ulimit -n 20000

# log interceptor com.wowza.wms.logging.LogNotify - see Javadocs for ILogNotify

sudo -u wowza $_EXECJAVA $JAVA_OPTS $JMXOPTIONS -Dcom.wowza.wms.runmode="service" -Dcom.wowza.wms.native.base="linux" -Dcom.wowza.wms.AppHome="$WMSAPP_HOME" -Dcom.wowza.wms.ConfigURL="$WMSCONFIG_URL" -Dcom.wowza.wms.ConfigHome="$WMSCONFIG_HOME" -cp $WMSAPP_HOME/bin/wms-bootstrap.jar com.wowza.wms.bootstrap.Bootstrap $WMSCOMMAND >/dev/null 2>&1 &
    if [ "$WMSCOMMAND" = "start" ]; then
    echo $! > ${WMSPIDFILE}
    wait $!
    fi
    exit 0

I find that if I change to /usr/local/WowzaMediaServer/bin (or just give the whole path each time), I can run ./WowzaMediaServer successfully with start|stop|status. The copy of the file WowzaMediaServer in /etc/init.d is identical to the one on the Wowza/bin folder, but if I run [service WowzaMediaServer start], wowza looks like it starts, but it does not. There will be no ps listings for Wowza or java (and no error messages in the logs). The drawback to this is that on reboot, the OS will start the WowzaMediaServer in /etc/init.d, where it will fail without warning or error messages, and I must remember how to start and stop the service from the installation directory instead of the normal way. Not a huge deal, but something that could use cleaning up. If anyone in tech support wants any of my installation files for review, let me know. Again, I am running Wowza 3.1.2 on Fedora 16.

Chris Meyer

Hi Chris,

The startup.sh (or .bat) script must be run from the bin directory. And the service should work after installation based on the instructions in the Wowza User Guide under "Starting and Stopping the Server".

For Redhat, I believe you use the "/sbin/service WowzaMediaServer start" method.

Hi Randal, Thanks for confirming that Wowza should start with [service WowzaMediaServer start]. All my other services do on the dozen or so other Linux boxes that I've been supporting for years. What I am saying is that Wowza does not start this way on my current installation. [service WowzaMediaServer stop] appears to work, [service WowzaMediaServer status] says it is running when I expect it to, and [service WowzaMediaServer stop] appears to stop the service - but nothing is ever running according to [ps -eaf | grep Wowza]. Also the box does not respond to calls from clients. If I use [WowzaMediaServer start|stop|status] directly out of the /usr/local/WowzaMediaServer/bin directory, then all is well and works as expected. I just have to remember that the service does not start and stop the usual way. Perhaps a startup script somewhere is missing a full path where it needs it. - Chris