Thread: nDVR and time used in the manifest

Default nDVR and time used in the manifest

Hi there ... I'm using Wowza nDVR services on a EC2 instance. I'm playing back recorded content using the API to extract pieces of the recording. I've my own function to retrieve using UTC time values from manifest
    I've found that UTC time is not actually UTC but local time of the server ... is there a way to tell server to record timestamps using actual UTC values? ... I can use the local time, but I need to set up a timezone not available in the zones included in EC2 instance (I need UTC -3 without daylight savings)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tavius View Post
    Hi there ... I'm using Wowza nDVR services on a EC2 instance. I'm playing back recorded content using the API to extract pieces of the recording. I've my own function to retrieve using UTC time values from manifest
    I've found that UTC time is not actually UTC but local time of the server ... is there a way to tell server to record timestamps using actual UTC values? ... I can use the local time, but I need to set up a timezone not available in the zones included in EC2 instance (I need UTC -3 without daylight savings)

Thanks
    You're correct, the issue is that the utc time is not pulled from the stream. It's the time the packets arrive at the server.
    This is known limitation. We're looking at ways to pull packet time from some streams that have them but do not have a solution for it now.

packettime, which is the packet time the encoder sends per packet, would be a more accurate method to extract chunks if you can map that back to real time.

Scott