Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monitoring & Restricting Server Connections & Altering Video Bitrate

Default Monitoring & Restricting Server Connections & Altering Video Bitrate

Hello - We have successfully tested WOWZA Media Server 3 with VLC Players (deployed on IIS for browser based playing functioality) on a Multicast network for Live Streaming applications.

I have a couple of queries in reference to monitoring & restricting Server connections.

A. Is there a possibility to restrict Unicast and Multicast connections separately? I tried effecting the connectioncount in the vHosts.xml file to two (2); First connection from the encoder to the WOWZA Server and the Second connection from the WOWZA Server to the Multicast Router. However, i'm unable to play anymore than two (2) connections.
    The reason for asking this flexibility is to avoid a situation where users who are unable to connect over mulitcast roll-over to unicast connections and flood WAN BW and impact Server Performance.

B. When trying to monitor the number of Multicast Stream connections through http://<WOWZAServerIP>:8086/connectioncounts, I find the SessionsRTSP parameter count increment propotional to the number of WebServer hits. Shouldn't this parameter be indicative of the number of Stream Connections; which in a multicast case should be unitary + the stream from the Encoder.

C. How could i effect the default video bit rate of the Wowza Streaming Server for a Live Stream? I would like to configure it in a way that it uses the same bit rate as used by my Encoder.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Thanks
    SG
    Last edited by sgopalkr; 10-11-2012 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Adding One more query on configuring Video Bit rate

SG,

A: Not sure what you are doing or trying to accomplish

B: Maybe these are not really multicast.

C: Wowza just reflects streams, it does not alter the bitrate unless you use the Wowza Transcoder.

Richard

Richard - Thanks for the response.

A. In otherwords, how could I restrict unicast connections to just say 10 connections and have unlimited Multicast connections?

B. Makes sense.

C. I was under the same impression that WOWZA would relay the same, but surprisingly, irrespective of whatever bit rates i set on the encoder side (Cisco Telepresence Content Server), i find no improvement in the stream quality; which makes me assume that there might be a pre-defined hardcoded max bit rate set on the wowza server. Where could i check at what Bit rates the WOWZA server streams livestreams?

Thanks
    SG
    Last edited by sgopalkr; 10-11-2012 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Rephrasing question for better clarity

Richard - Quickly wanted to share another feedback in reference to query A.

A. We did another round of testing today with 250+ users with VLC Players. The multicast URL that was published to the end-user community was rtsp://<WOWZAServerIPAddress>:1935/live/MyStream?multicastplay. Unfortunately, some users input an incomplete URL into the player as rtsp://<WOWZAServerIPAddress>:1935/live/MyStream?multicast[/I]. and those users who did it started streaming on Unicast! We started noticing WAN BW spikes and noticed many users also experienced Frozen frames. If you could revisit my query now, you would probably understand what i wanted to achieve.

C. Looking at the http://<WOWZAServerIPAddress:8086/connectioncounts link and specifically the parameters MessagesInBytesRate and MessagesOutBytesRate, I find no co-relation between Encoder bit rate and WOWZA Server Streaming bit rate. We are currently doing testing through our monitoring application to understand the per Stream BW, the WOWZA server is outputting, for both Unicast and Multicast streams. Any inputs from your end would be highly appreciated.

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks
    SG
    Last edited by sgopalkr; 10-12-2012 at 06:35 AM. Reason: Updating Post with more clarity and content

SG,

Re MessagesOutBytesRate, note that it changes from second to second, even vod streaming the Wowza sample.mp4

Richard

Rochard - Even so, they don't match-up with my transcoder bit rate.

On another note, would the information in the below link be worth a try to understand the output bit rate?
    http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....lished-streams

Also quickly wnated to check if my understanding is right that you guys dont have telephony support? How does your support SLA look like for email support? We have a major event coming up and are litreally struggling with newer issues everytime we do testing.

Thanks
    Last edited by sgopalkr; 10-14-2012 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Correcting typo.....

It does measure bitrate of live stream, so is relevant.

Write to sales@wowza.com about support options. Wowza free support is forum and ticket/email system.

Richard

Richard - Thanks again for the response.

A. Any updates on query 'A'?

B. Already answered and closed!

C. I think the ModuleLimitPublishedStreamBandwidth is giving me some data that I'd like see.

I see the below outputs in the WOWZA Server 3 Windows Command Line Window. I had my encoder set-up to stream at 1024 Kbps and set the maximum bit rate on the WOWZA Server to 1152 Kbps
    Info server comment - Stream 'MyStream' BitRate: 1132 Kbps, MaxBitRate 1152 Kbps
    Info server comment - Stream 'MyStream' BitRate: 1128 Kbps, MaxBitRate 1152 Kbps
    Info server comment - Stream 'MyStream' BitRate: 1130 Kbps, MaxBitRate 1152 Kbps
    Info server comment - Stream 'MyStream' BitRate: 1131 Kbps, MaxBitRate 1152 Kbps

Question now is whether the 'MyStream' bitrate represents Input bitrate from the encoder side or output bit rate from the WOWZA Server? If its the input bit rate from the Encoder side, how can i get to see the Output bit rate?

I have written to the support email to understand more of the support post product purchase.

Thanks
    SG
    Last edited by sgopalkr; 10-15-2012 at 04:56 AM. Reason: Editing per observer test results

These numbers are incoming bytes: encoder to server.

how could I restrict unicast connections to just say 10 connections and have unlimited Multicast connections?
    You can limit RTMP and HTTP unicast connections like this:
    http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....an-application

Or per stream like this:
    http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....rs-to-a-stream

I don't think there is, or know a way, to limit multicast connections.

Richard

Richard - Thanks for the response.

A. I tried both the procedures. With the first procedure, if i set the maxApplicationConnections to 3, any connection beyond three (3); be it multicast or unicast, gets blocked. With the second procedure, whatever value i set for the maxStreamViewers, the system defaults it to 200 and threrefore 200 connections be either be made on unicast or multicast. What I'm needing is to restrict unicast to just 5 or 10 connections but have the flexibility to run unlimited multicast connections. I'm not requiring a restrict multicast connections.

C. In reference to 'C', is there a similar procedure to validate that the WOWZA server in outputting whatever it is receiving?

Thanks
    SG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast