Thread: Adaptive Bit Rate - Some Players not shifting up

Default Adaptive Bit Rate - Some Players not shifting up

Hello,

We're experiencing an occasional problem in which some Hls players do not shift up to the high stream when using a .smil url. Most iOS devices seem to shift up but newer Android devices that utilize the stagefright media framework, output the following message:

new bandwidth does not have the sequence number we're looking for...
    This message appears to come from this class http://source-android.frandroid.com/...iveSession.cpp in the stagefright framework. Now, according to the hls spec,

A client MUST NOT assume that segments with the same media sequence number in different variants or renditions contain matching content.
    So I would guess that the problem is with the player. However, after a Wowza restart, everything works fine, as it shifts up the high stream and looks great on the same tablet.

Are there any Cupertino-specific settings I could/should try to prevent this sequence number out of order issue?

Thanks,

Grant

Grant,

Sounds like key frame alignment issue. You can debug, see how key frames are lining up, like this:

http://www.wowza.com/forums/content....rame-alignment

Richard

Thank you, I will give that a try. If this is a source stream problem with key frame alignment, why would a restart seem to fix? Also, the high stream is the source stream coming from the encoder and the medium and low streams are transcoded (transrated) using Wowza's transcoder. Should we be transcoding to a a high stream so that all three are more likely to be aligned?

Thanks.

I'm not sure that is the problem, maybe it is not. Android devices seem to have a lot of problems.

Richard

Hi, Richard,

I have the same issues when adding the cupertinoCreateAudioOnlyRendition, on Android 4.1. The device refuses to play the m3u8 that has the secondary audio stream in it. If I leave if out, the device plays back just fine. If I add it, then it keeps looping between the following lines in the Android log:

03-19 12:18:30.499: V/ChromiumHTTPDataSource(1684): connect on behalf of uid 10075
    03-19 12:18:30.499: V/ChromiumHTTPDataSource(1684): onDisconnectComplete() mState = 0
    03-19 12:18:30.499: I/ChromiumHTTPDataSource(1684): connect to <URL suppressed> @0
    03-19 12:18:30.549: V/MediaPlayerService(1684): [127] isPlaying: 1
    03-19 12:18:30.549: V/MediaPlayer(23599): isPlaying: 1
    03-19 12:18:30.549: E/LiveSession(1684): Finish fetchfile m3u8
    03-19 12:18:30.549: I/LiveSession(1684): new bandwidth does not have the sequence number we're looking for, switching back to previous bandwidth

Again, I do not have multiple streams that I should sync, there's only the original stream and the audio only rendition that Wowza produces.

Thanks,

Does the same ABR stream play on an iOS device? Can you play the audioOnly stream directly in Android and iOS?

Richard

Actually, I figured it out, but I didn't get to post yet, sorry.

I was running an origin-edge setup and had the cupertinoCreateAudioOnlyRendition enabled on the edge server and disabled on the origin server. Hence, I guess the edge created the ckunklist for the audio-only stream, but had nothing to add to it, so it was empty.

Now, as we all know, Android devices are f-ed up, so that really messed up its shaky ABR algorithms and it looped infinitely through those output lines.

If I either add the cupertinoCreateAudioOnlyRendition to the origin, or remove it from the edge, then playback works fine on Android as well.

I've chosen to remove the option for now, on account of the issue with iOS streams described in ticket #51751, to which I will respond shortly.

Thanks,
    Sorin.

Sorin,

Thanks for the update and info,

Richard